Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie_ga_7a

Spotting Fellow Gardeners?

eddie_ga_7a
19 years ago

Can you tell just by looking if someone is a gardener? If you pass someone in the grocery store or at an airport would you be able to determine if they are a fellow gardener? You could ....if every gardener would paint their right thumbnail green. (even the men) I have tried this and it works. It generates attention and questions. Some organizations like Masons have a secret handshake. This could be our more open signal that we are a member of the green society. You may think this is frivilous but it could work. Let's hear what you think of it.

Comments (19)

• Summer
    19 years ago

Eddie,

I'm easy to spot. I'm the one with the dirty finger nails. More often than not, I'll be at a greenhouse, garden centre or the section of HD, CT, Walmart..........

Summer

• Julie
    19 years ago

Dirty fingernails- scun knuckels- dirt stained knees on most pants- plant debris in hair- side long looks to gardens, garden centers, nurseries, plants, and even signs about above all help identify me as a gardner....
    Julie

• hotroses
    19 years ago

I spotted one yesterday - a family was moving in down the street - they had one moving van full of the usually household stuff and three trailer loads of plants in pots. My kind of people.

• andie_rathbone
    19 years ago

Outside of garden centers, it's dirty fingernails and usually a garden magazine tucked into a purse or under an arm.

In stores it's the person lurking around the garden magazine section or around even the smallest display of plants.

And if you see someone deadheading potted annuals outside a store or restaurant, you'll know for sure you've spotted a gardener.

• Summer
    19 years ago

Do you get the irresistable urge to pull the weeds - where ever - when ever?????????? That, could be another sign of one obsessed with gardening. I do it all the time..............

Summer

• minibite
    19 years ago

Yes, yes! Dirty fingernails. All dressed up, looked down, oops dirty fingernails. No expensive manicures for me why bother, but sorry, can't go for the green thumbnail. How about some kind of innocent button?

• NattyD
    19 years ago

Well, being both a gardener who never uses gloves, and a nail polish wearer, I can attest to the fact that the green thumbnail (cute as the idea is) wouldn't last 5 minutes after digging in the dirt, and looks dreadful if not removed! LOL. Now a tatoo of a dirt smudge on the nose or forehead maybe.... :-)

• victorias_garden
    19 years ago

Haven't seen him wearing green nail polish, but there's this gardener I know who wears screaming-green shoes when he gives presentations. Even his website says 'Garden 'til you Turn GREEN'. Pretty nice fella that Eddie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turning Green

• eddie_ga_7a
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi cousin Victoria. Nice to have you "turnip" here. I can use some moral support and someone who can help me get the occasional foot out of my mouth. By the way, my last gardening article came out in Our Town magazine today.

• Summer
    19 years ago

Eddie,

VERY IMPRESSIVE ! I feel honoured to have been teased about planting cabbages...........

Summer

• gardenmaker79
    18 years ago

dirty finger nails all summer thats a true gardener. I find myself heading to a graduation party cleaning my finger nails the best you can do as you are heading down the road. On Sat. afternoons lately people know I have been doing volenteer working weeding I may have mud spots on the knees of the jeans or still very wet mud depending on how much its been raining as I stop in the store for something quick on the way home. Hmmmm some have said as I walk by and I hear them but I just go about getting what I need and head for home for a hot shower and something to eat. That is what some fellow gardeners look like. If you see me on Sat afternoon in a store you'll know its me and I am a fellow gardener. LOL
    Gardenmaker79

• luvmydaisies
    18 years ago

I have a Pink watering can shaped purse, boy that gets peoples attention.

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

I wear my rubber gardening clogs everywhere.....

• pattyrocks
    18 years ago

In the summer, and only in the summer I polish my very short nails. This hides the dirt. I got a chuckle out of this thread, I too cannot help myself from pulling weeds, where ever and when ever. I keep pruners and a vase in my car all summer long. At work, I constantly wish I were outside, even when it is raining. GardenWeb is my salvation.

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Dirty fingernails and debris in my hair. Went to a ball, all dressed up, found leaves in my hair. Tried to convince everyone it was part of my costume, they knew I'd been picking seeds off the tree in front of the center. I always have seeds in my pockets, can't walk past a plant I don't have without pinching off a chunk. Will pull weeds anywhere. Hanging out in the produce department trying to figure out what I can grow, not what I can eat!

• Lisa_loves_dirt
    18 years ago

Ha! I was at the dreaded shopping mall last week and was pulled aside by a woman with a lovely European accent selling something.

Turns out she was selling products to make your fingernails look great. She asked to see mine and promptly turned her attention to other customers.

My nails are always dirty (as are my feet, regardless of shoes) so I carry a teeny little nail brush in my purse. Occasionally I'll be on my way somewhere and realize that it looks like I just clawed my way out of a cave. Most times I don't care but I have seen my son's preschool teachers swap "the look". They finally understood when I went in wearing my MG badge one day.

-Lisa

• gardenmaker79
    18 years ago

Ok my husband keeps telling me you dont need to pull everyone elses weeds. we were on way home from somewhere yesterday and stoped at a rest area. so many weeds I asked hubby if i would end up in jail or loony ben for pulling weeds from flower beds. he just looked at me becouse he knows I was serious about wanting them weeds to be gone. I was good i didnt pull them even though I was drenched from being in the rain and my finger nails were already dirty. I want to pull weeds no matter where I am at. Thats hou you spot fellow gardener

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Ha Ha! Guess we're all alike. I was at my cousin's house for a BBQ on Sunday, and went out front to look at the foundation plantings. Yep, I pulled the weeds. It feels good to rid any bed of weeds, either my own or someone else's...doesn't matter. As long as they're gone.

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

I made up a "Real Gardeners..." t-shirt with the top 10 signs to recognizing one. I also have a t-shirt for my Labor Pool (aka husband).

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022