Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
personal gardener/consultant referral

Posted by mrskaline 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 11:15

I live in the Indianapolis area and I'm interested in finding a skilled gardener consultant (preferrably organic) I can work with to teach me how to address my ongoing lawn & garden needs, i.e. proper plant care, pruning of trees & shrubs, landscape design ideas, plant selections etc. I enjoy gardening but can't say I'm very good at it and it becomes overwhelming, frustrating and stressful sometimes for me. I like the idea of learning and doing it myself (except for big jobs) but I just need some structured guidance and instruction along the way. I think it would be helpful if I could find a consultant or mentor of sorts to work with me on my ongoing lawn and garden projects and maintenance. Anyone out there that can offer any suggestions or point me in the right direction? I'm not even sure what I should expect to pay for this type of service. I live just north of Indianapolis. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: personal gardener/consultant referral

We are in Texas, so our situation may be very different from yours. When we moved here from upstate NY, we were completely lost as to what many plants were, the soil, bugs, etc. Here is what we did, and we had "garden-tour" vegetable and flower gardens within three years.
1. We found a good nursery that specialized in native plants. We asked questions, listened to the owner, and read recommended books.
2. We went to classes (free) at an arboretum, and also at nurseries that offered Saturday gardening classes.
3. We read. We read books, pamphlets from our county agricultural extension agent, and hand-outs at "green" events like Earth Day at a nearby botanical garden.
4.We met and profited by the experience of other gardeners. Don't worry about asking the wrong question. Gardeners LOVE to talk about gardening!
Gardening shouldn't be overwhelming or stressful for you. Relax, do what you can, ask around about classes/lectures/demonstrations and enjoy your garden. That's the point of the whole thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here