Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anderson4paint

Is anyone a MG in Nassau County

anderson4paint
18 years ago

Just recently someone, who contact the Horticulture Information Center, quite frequently, mentioned that the MG program exists in Nassau County. Then I stumbled upon the Cornel Cooperative Extension website while I was researching some gardening questions. Then I noticed this MG forum. I feel like it is fate.....Or maybe just spring and I need infor so I've been searching the web more.

The Cornel Website does not say much about the progrm or when the classes are. I would love more information, and an opinoin or two about he program in Nassau County.

I love people, I love gardening and I love learning. I have read quite a bit on this forum and find the idea behind it to be wonderful. I haven't run across many MG's in Nassau on the forum though.

Comments (3)

• amyg26
    18 years ago

I think the nassau program was non-existent for awhile due to funding. I am happy to see that it is back. I would ASSUME, due to the proximity, that the program is similiar to Suffolk which is very extensive. The classes ran Jan - June and met one full day a week when I was enrolled a few years ago. If they are looking for 150 volunteer hours, then there is most likely 150 classroom hours. Why don't you email them from the site? good luck and by all means take the class if you can!

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

Hiya, its kismet! I'm an active MG from Nassau County! The classes meet from Sept-Dec. every other year. The 2005 class is already filled with about 50 interested people from the county. The next set of classes is in 2007 in the fall. Contact the main office at 228-0426 Ext. 10 and ask to be placed on the Master Gardener contact list for 2007. You will need to submit once contacted an application form and a letter of intent addressed to our Extension Agent. The cost for the classes is $150.00 (don't quote me on this price). For that amount of money you get a binder with every fact sheet the county has, a binder from Cornell with the supplemental reading from their MG program, a bag to hold these 2 binders and a Felco #2 shears. The classes are from M-Th and meet at the Hicks Nursery Lecture Cemter on M and W. Tu and Th are usually class trips to discuss the topic of the week.Classes are usually given by Professors from Cornell, experienced MG's on their forte and some Professors from SUNY Farmingdale. Sometimes several topics are done per week. Homework is given, usually reviewing the fact sheets (I think I read through the majority of them by the time the classes ended) and a supplemental reading in the NYS Master Gardener binder. Quizzes are given weekly on the previous topic and at the end of the classes a final is given in essay form about your general knowlege about a dozen topics to choose from. Instructional hours are 150 and payback hours are 150 hours over a 2 year time period and 25 of those hours are mandatory on the Homeowner Hotline phones. Please contact me if any further questions! My name is Chris and everyone knows me over at the Greenhouse in East Meadow where the office is located.

• anderson4paint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chris
    Thank you very much for the information. I will call and put myself on the waiting list. Unfortunately, I may just have to wait a few more years though. I have two little ones at home and I work. As much as I would like to, I am not sure I could possibly swing 4 months, 4 days a week. Maybe one day when things are a little bit less hectic (will that day come) I will be able to enjoy the opportunity.

Thank you again,

Stephanie