Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5/6 flower advice needed

Posted by coriander z5PA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 15:23

I am to create an annual wildflower garden at a community site. This is in zone 5/6, full sun, in central Pa. I would love any advice or stories of your experience sowing native wildflower seeds.

coriander

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5/6 flower advice needed

I was one of the volunteers when my son's school decided to put some of the very large campus/playground into prairie. I think they wanted to save money on groundskeeping. After making sure any trash or debris was removed, the fire dept. joined us to do a controlled burn to clear the way for the new seed application. This was harder than it sounded. Even though it was early in the spring, there was enough green stuff to make the fire difficult to spread. It took several years to develop properly but the results were worth it. Sandy

o

Thanks, glad to know it was worth the work.

coriander

o

Well, for years DW has been saying that you can't create wildflower beds, because wildflowers are wild, and once you plant, sow, cultivate them, tend to them, they ain't wildflowers anymore. Nuts? Maybe, maybe not.

Admittedly, we've grown wildflowers several times, but most of the varities of seeds in the pack were not native to our part of the world. So, what's in a name? Probably nothing. Maybe it's analagous to creating a "natural garden." There's nothing "natural" about gardens, but I hear gardeners say they want a "natural" one all the time. Sorry, just me thinking out loud here. Cheers...

o

I just answered a similar question on the MG helpline yesterday. Someone wanted info. on growing native plants in wetlands in this area. I found a load of info. and mailed it to her. Call your local MG county extension office and you'll definitely get help there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here