Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coriander_gw

Zone 5/6 flower advice needed

coriander
19 years ago

I am to create an annual wildflower garden at a community site. This is in zone 5/6, full sun, in central Pa. I would love any advice or stories of your experience sowing native wildflower seeds.

coriander

Comments (4)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

I was one of the volunteers when my son's school decided to put some of the very large campus/playground into prairie. I think they wanted to save money on groundskeeping. After making sure any trash or debris was removed, the fire dept. joined us to do a controlled burn to clear the way for the new seed application. This was harder than it sounded. Even though it was early in the spring, there was enough green stuff to make the fire difficult to spread. It took several years to develop properly but the results were worth it. Sandy

• coriander
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, glad to know it was worth the work.

coriander

• sween
    19 years ago

Well, for years DW has been saying that you can't create wildflower beds, because wildflowers are wild, and once you plant, sow, cultivate them, tend to them, they ain't wildflowers anymore. Nuts? Maybe, maybe not.

Admittedly, we've grown wildflowers several times, but most of the varities of seeds in the pack were not native to our part of the world. So, what's in a name? Probably nothing. Maybe it's analagous to creating a "natural garden." There's nothing "natural" about gardens, but I hear gardeners say they want a "natural" one all the time. Sorry, just me thinking out loud here. Cheers...

• minibite
    19 years ago

I just answered a similar question on the MG helpline yesterday. Someone wanted info. on growing native plants in wetlands in this area. I found a load of info. and mailed it to her. Call your local MG county extension office and you'll definitely get help there.