Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tax deductible?

Posted by adker 4 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 20:20

Hello all,

I read in another post that the mileage, etc. for Master Gardening volunteering was tax deductible. (I'm sorry that I can't remember the state).

Being that it's tax time and 2005 will be my first full year as a MG Intern, I would like to find out more about this. I'm in New York and while I did an IRS search for non-for-profits where the tax deduction applies, I could not find anything for Cornell Cooperative Extension, although other states did have individual county extensions listed. The IRS says "educational" entities, but all I could find was Cornell's philanthropic groups.

Anyone out there deducting in New York state?

thanks!
adker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tax deductible?

Your extension agent should have some knowledge of this. While he can't give you tax advice, he might be able to point you in the direction to find the info you need. Mileage is deductible in VA but I don't know about other states.
Sandy

o
RE: Tax deductible?

Since you are talking about deductions on the federal IRS forms, there shouldn't be a difference from state to state. Cornell University is non-profit educational institution and would qualify as an "educational entity". Mileage or other expenses you incur which are "donated" to the Master Gardener Program should be deductible if you itemize your taxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here