Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Row Questions... Not an MG

Posted by LimoWreck 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 20:57

Hi! I am not a master gardener, but I have sent away for information and the application to participate in one of the local programs.

I believe I have missed the deadline for this year's courses. However, I am in love with the concept of the food row and I would love to grow vegetables for donation on my own land.

Q?: WHAT VEGETABLES WOULD BE USEFUL FOR LOCAL FOODBANKS OR SOUP KITCHENS?

I have made some calls and left some messages, but so far no one has responded. This would be the perfect time for me to get moving on this project. I have the resources available.

Is this a bad idea? Do you need to be an MG to do this?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Row Questions... Not an MG

No, you don't have to be a Master Gardener to do this. The official name of the project is "Plant A Row For The Hungry" or shortened "Plant A Row" This is a project often adopted by schools, community gardens and Master Gardener projects and was created by the Garden Writers Association Of America. You are right to inquire what vegetables are preferred by these food banks and I believe all this information will be covered at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant - A - Row

o

You certainly do not have to be a MG to donate food to a local food bank. Did you call the food banks directly? I'm sure they would tell you exactly what they will accept and need. Once you find out that info., maybe it would be a good idea to see if anyone else would be interested locally in helping you to make it a community project if you have the speace and/or desire to do so.

Even in my small garden(15X6), I had enough to give away to a bank, even after sharing food with my neighbors, but unfortunately a lot of the extra stuff went into my compost.

o

Thanks!!!

I have called two food banks and both times got people who didn't know what to suggest, but they promised to have someone call me back. No one has called.

Guess I'll call around again today.

Just found out there won't be another MG course till next January. :(

o

Rather than calling the food bank, you might try the soup kitchens. Many times the food banks do not have facilities to keep fresh vegetables but the soup kitchen do. In my limited experience they will be more than happy to accept salad greens, green beans, tomatoes, peppers. ie things that can be added to what they have.
One caution though (from experience), know the place you are going to deliver to and make sure you know that someone will be there. Some do not operate 7 days a week and most are not in the best neighborhoods of the city! The one experience that I had delivering to an inner city place was not pleasant, and frankly probably not safe! Several guys with guns 'guarding' the place and no one really sure how to get inside until they opened the door.
It really is a good program though and worth working thru the logistics to get things right for everyone.

o

Have you checked to see if you have a Gleaners organization in your area? They come to your place and pick the produce for distribution. I have had the same lady come for the last three years. I just give her a call and let her know what I have excess of and she tells me the day and time that she can come. She also provides the containers. Sure a lot better than having to pick and deliver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here