Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francis_gw

Master gardening benefits long term

Francis
19 years ago

I'd like to inquire about the Master Gardener program available in my state, Connecticut. Its my understanding after you attend this 6 month class you need to volunteer double the hours to attain your final certificate. My question is what can one do with a MG certificate? I'm having a problem explaining to my wife what happens after the 6 month commitment and all the hours you have to volunteer. I'll be leaving a job that pays very well, not including the benefit package. So I'd like to know what one can do financially with a MG certificate? I'd hate to sound callous but I'm 47 yo.

I'd love to get into this program and give back to my community, teaching about sustainable agriculture, vermicomposting and continue helping local community gardens.. You know the old saying "If you teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry". I believe the same goes for organic gardening..

Can any MG's explain what the benefits are?

Thanks for your time

F

Comments (11)

• gardener_sandy
    19 years ago

This program is not for the financial benefit of the volunteers. In fact, it costs me for the gas & wear & tear on my car (but it's a tax deductible expense if you itemize.) The program was designed to provide assistance to the county extension agents and to help educate the public in many areas of horticulture. In return, we learn more and more about horticulture ourselves and get that warm feeling of being appreciated by our agents and our community. If you're looking to make money out of it, consider the almost free education you'll be getting as the benefit. Plus you'll make many contacts in the field who may ultimately help you.

• Francis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for responding. I understand the volunteer aspect. Which i have no problem with. However, to take the MG classes in CT its a six month commitment, full time.. I don't know of any employer who would be that understanding to keep your job available while you attend. That's basically what i needed to know. Moreover, if they had the course after regular work hours or weekends this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, i need a pay check and benefits...
    So basically my question goes to the heart of the issue, would this be a career change? I always dreamed of opening a herb garden and if the education would help so be it.. Do most people who take the course keep the regular jobs during this schooling, or do they go on the greener pastures?

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

I took the training in 1980 and it was I think 19 classes of one hour each. These were given two per night twice a week and so did not interfere with my job. If I wanted to go into herb gardening I would skip the Master Gardener course (Why would you want to learn about lawn care and such to open a herb farm?) I would never leave the security of a good paying job but that's just me. I would start a backyard nursery in my spare time and see how profitable that becomes. By the way, one of our new interns asked of our demo garden vegetable plot if it was entirely organic and I replied "Organic principles are good but the Extension Service has no compunction against using chemical fertilizers. In fact, doing so in the past is part of what made this country so great so fast: the ability to feed its populace plus have a surplus to sell to other countries."

• andie_rathbone
    19 years ago

Every state has their own criteria, so i'm not qualified to address the CT requirements, but in my county in Texas, we have about 72 hours of classwork from the beginning of January to the end of March. In practical terms that means being in class every Tuesday & Thursday from January through March from 1:00 to 5:00 PM. I agree that if you have a typical 9 -5 job, it is very difficult. I'm sure that's why most of the people in our MG group are retired,

During our Intern year we have to do another 70 or so hours of volunteering to certify, which is also a big commitment. However after that, we only have to do 12 volunteer hours & 12 CE's to maintain our certification.

If you're looking for the group to provide you monetary gains, it's probably not the group for you. But if you're looking for a group of people who want to spread the love of gardening to the commmunity, as well as a fine group of people who will be your friends, you will look long & hard before you find a better organization in which to invest your time.

• Redclayfarmer
    19 years ago

I don't think the Master Gardening program is what you are looking for. DON'T quit you day job that has benefits just to become a volunteer. A volunteer is just that no pay no benifits as you have now. Now don't get me wrong Master Gardeniong has benefits but they want pay$$$$ the $$$bills$$$. Bob

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

I completed the MG program in CT in 2004. It runs from January to April, and involves spending one full day a week in the classroom. Over the summer, you put in 30 hours at the extension office manning the phones, and another 30 hours doing volunteer activities in the community to complete the program. When you are done, you have a broad overview of knowledge that you didn't have before on a number of topics, including soil, vegetables, chemicals, water quality, small fruits, woody plants, herbaceous plants, insects, plant pathology, and plant biology.

You will not know enough to go into business, but it will make you a better gardener, and your neighbors will look up to you and ask you a lot of questions that you don't know the answers to until you look them up. :o)

Please don't quit your day job. If you want to get into the industry, Naugatuck Valley Community College in Waterbury has certificate programs in Horticulture and Landscape Design that will prepare you to work in the industry at some level. UConn has degree programs in Horticulture and Landscape Architecture.

You can also ease into a career change, as another poster mentioned, by starting a backyard nursery or part time landscaping or gardening business in a small way and seeing where it goes.
    Good Luck
    Jo

• Francis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

SayPoint,
    Your absolutely right. The person i talked with was from the UConn. I have since been in contact with the local Extension office. I received the several phone numbers at the CT flower show and some how mixed the numbers up.
    I talked with NVCC about the Horticulture and MBA associate degree programs several week ago and have an appointment with the admission dept. This being done at nights and weekends.. The added plus is its not a far drive to Waterbury.
    First, let me apologize for the hypothetical statement concerning the herb farm/garden, In no way did i mean to infer i would use or planned to use the MG program as a career launching vehicle, provided i'm accepted. Furthermore, the information i received from UConn left me with this direct train of thought.
    I'm still interested in the MG program offered through my state. As stated in previous posts the hours are a little easier to manage with a full time job..
    I help a lot of people in my local neighborhood gardens and I'm presently lobbying my local town to start a community garden.. Isn't this what the MG program is partially about?

In closing, If i ruffled a few feathers, I'm truly sorry for not checking my facts prior to writing the original thread.
    I hope we can get beyond this and any future questions will not be taken with a grain of salt. I in turn promise to get the facts straight prior to posting.

Sincerely yours,
    Francis

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

Hey there Francis. I don't think anyone was offended. They just didn't want you on the wrong path in something as important as a career change. Sandy

• gardener_sandy
    19 years ago

Ditto what Sandy said! No offense taken and I hope none given. Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and come back here with questions anytime. (The only stupid question is the unasked one.)

(Another) Sandy

• Francis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you both, for your posts and understanding.
    I'm more upset with myself for not having the correct facts prior to posting my question. Other than that, everything is hunky dory.

Sincerely,
    F

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor