Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow plants

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 9:13

Lots of plants in my yard are rapidly turning yellow. Such as, daylilies, iberis, roses, coral bells, and so forth. I think it's from the crazy weather. We had April in February here and then it got cold again. Lots of things froze in March(3 days of in the 20's ) I'm at a loss of what to do for these plants. a friend thinks a little nitrogen would help, but in all my years of gardening,(59 years) I've never had this happen before. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow plants

I think you're probably right - the crazy weather has affected your plants.

Too much rain can cause yellowing of leaves. Or, when the soil is cold, plants can't access the nutrients they need.

In shrubs like azaleas and rhododendrons, yellowing of leaves denotes a lack of iron. When this happens, iron chelate is applied to the plant and it does the trick.

I think as the weather warms up, your plants will be fine. You might want to side dress the plants with fertilizer (I use dehydrated cow manure) when the weather warms up and they start growing at a faster rate. I wouldn't add it yet, though. The plants are stressed and you don't want to add fertilizer at this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here