Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevere33_gw

wilt on Peruvian bean

chevere33
15 years ago

I have posted this in the Pest and Diseases area, as well, and a picture is included there. I am having a problem with a type of Peruvian bean which requires 120 days.

In February, I started the seeds in my basement, with lights and a fan (this is the way I do tomatoes and I grow sturdy tomatoes). I started them in small peat pots, transferring them after about 6 weeks to 6" plastic pots, which I did sterilize. I left them in the peat pots, but slashed them some and ripped to make sure the roots didn't end up bound. They were fine for a while, then what appeared to be maybe wilt appeared on some; at the same time, some had started to vine(I had sticks in there for them), and most of them just dried off at the tops and came right off the sticks. Now I only have one that still is vining, and all have the malady, whatever it is. My plan was to put them in the garden two weeks from now, but because of this issue I have barely begun hardening them off for fear that they will completely dry up.

I am hoping someone has suggestions because I really want to make this work. The plant is a legume commonly called ñuña and the botanical name is Phaseolus vulgaris. It is not probably anything most people would want to grow but I really want these to be successful. Thank you.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County