Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmydaisies

MG county fair booths

luvmydaisies
18 years ago

Has anyone had experince setting up a booth for a county fair?? If so what did you do that attracted people to you?

Last year our MG group did a pond with plants and since this is my "intern" year they think it is a good idea to let the interns take a stab at planning the theme since we will be able to get in a lot of hours doing it.

Any thoughts ??

Comments (3)

• CarolnWbg
    18 years ago

We have participated for several years in our county fair. We have used a theme of 'garden junk' very successfully for two of those years. We've had planted lunch boxes, a pond made in a set of washtubs, wind chimes made from kitchen items and on and on. We have a binder of pictures from the web so people can get even more ideas. Along with this, we have done "Ask the Master Gardener". Folks are encouraged to ask questions of the MGs who are present and forms are left at the display when the booth isn't manned. We had one contest called 'name the weed' and another called 'name the plant'. Participants placed their answers on a form and dropped them into a box after they had studied the live plants that we supplied. Winners were awarded a collection of perennials from MG gardens.
    We also made a display in an old aquarium. It was the items needed to make compost stacked so that they could be seen through the glass. Little boys seemed to like this one. We considered adding a rubber snake or something to make their studying enjoyable for them.
    We have posters with pictures of local gardens that we use as a backdrop to whatever we are doing. The pictures are identified as to what kind of garden it is and who did the gardening. We also order seeds in bulk to give away.
    I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting. Our group enjoys putting together a display and manning it in the evenings so we can promote our program and answer gardening questions.

• buckhill
    18 years ago

Our group in Wisconsin does a differnet theme each year. One was Know Your Neighbors (identifying common raodsife plants); another was identifying non-native invasive species; last year was composting; this year it is lifelong gardening and we've designed and built a wheel-chair accessible planter for our nursing home that we are featuring, along with adapted tools and resources for home gardeners. Some years, we have a give-away item (a birdhouse, obelisk or bench, built by one of our members) that people can sign up to win--that really draws in people!

Have fun!

Becky

• CarolnWbg
    18 years ago

Had the good fortune to spend 3 days last week in Lebanon County. Was there for a draft horse event and noticed a sign at the facility that referred to a Master Gardener Demonstration Garden. Congratulations to your group for a lovely exhibit! I spent quite a bit of time taking pictures of the demo garden and your other plantings around the building that includes your extension office. Got really curious about your group so I wandered into the building and found the office. What a nice reception I received! Spent time talking with both secretaries and Jeane took me back to the MG office where I met Alice and hung around with her for a little while. You are so lucky to have such a great facility and I can see that you are kept very busy with questions from the public.
    Just wanted to express my gratitude for the kind hospitality and to wish you great success in future. Can hardly wait for our next MG meeting to show off all the pictures!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH