Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut tree mulch

Posted by Gardner2013 BC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 0:45

We had a walnut tree in our back yard, we have had it chipped and ground so now we have walnut mulch have cleaned most of it up but we filled in the holes with the mulch, ready to put some top soil on but then I started reading and now I am concerned that grass maynot grow where we have the walnut mulch --- can some one let me know if grass will grow on top of this mulch with top soil.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut tree mulch

Grass seed is cheap. Try it.

o
RE: Walnut tree mulch

My grey squirrels are good at planting walnut trees and I am good at cutting them down and converting to mulch. I have been using it as a mulch for over 20 years with no noticeable negative consequences. Of course I have never mulched turf grass. Where you are tilling it into your soil, you may want to add a little additional nitrogen to make up for the decomposing wood chips consuming some in the process. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here