Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_dandy_gw

I was REJECTED! Now What?

jim_dandy
18 years ago

How do I find out why I was rejected? What are the MG guidelines for acceptance? Im having a hard time understanding their decision. I garden constantly. IÂm young (25) and have endless gardening energy. I started college with a focus on biology then switched to landscape architecture. My schedule is very flexible and I have lots of time that I can contribute since I am not employed. I made a point to let them know that unemployed doesnÂt mean uninvolved. Most days are spent propagating and experimenting with plants. I also do most of the planning, building, and maintaining of my parentÂs gardens. When not outside IÂm intently researching any and all things to do with gardening. I used the entire 3 hours allotted to take the initial exam. It was open book so I double-checked everything I could. Maybe they saw that as obsessive rather than committed. I donÂt really have experience with volunteer "programs". I didnÂt think to mention that I help my Dad maintain the cemetery and picnic grounds at church or that I once helped create hiking trails in a state park. Also, I think that I made a mistake letting them know that I have anxiety problems. They probably figured that I would freak out and stop showing up. It seemed like an important fact to include since my anxiety started when I was stalked at college. I didnÂt finish college because of it and havenÂt been able to consistently work since. I wanted to let them know how much gardening has helped me and I want to get out there and share my knowledge. It would have been great to meet people who have similar interests since I often find my friends just smiling and nodding when I am rambling on about plant stuff that I find fascinating. I was really nervous and fidgety during my interview. I have a hard time answering questions about myself but I am great at answering gardening or other knowledge based questions. I wasnÂt given that chance however. IÂm just disheartened by it all. I just want to know why and I want to let them know that they mistakenly passed up someone who could have been a real asset to them. Thanks for letting me vent and any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (28)

• Eddie_GA
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is a shame that people are not more compassionate but I feel you should have kept your problems hid after all, it is not a job application. I think most of these programs are looking for people who will be dedicated (but not obsessive) volunteers and their greatest need is someone to answer the phone. Don't be completely discouraged . Try again and next time don't try too hard. Relax and project self-assuredness. You sound like someone who would be a great asset to the Master Gardener program. But of course I hope you understand how Master Gardeners are created? They take a landscape architect and knock their brains out then fill them back up with basic information that follows party doctrine. After your training you should be able to recite such fascinating information as Take seed A and plant in hole B at depth C on date D.....
    In other words, look for the humor in the situation even when there is a lack of humor. I have a feeling I am going to catch heck (they monitor profanities here) for some of my comments. Take heart, in my county I have seen extremely qualified people turned down strictly on the whims of the program assistant who was given the authority to choose who got in the program and who was omitted. There's always next time.

• drewsmaga
    18 years ago

Words of wisdom: try again next year. I don't know the criteria used to select MG's in your county (or mine) but you sound like someone we'd want in our MG group! Take heart -- when I applied in '97, I was one of 25 accepted from over 100 applicants! (Maybe you were up against those kinds of odds?) And I was nervous during the interview with the Hort. agent (who directs the program) the MG "club" Prez., a volunteer MG and the Hort. agent secretary (also an MG.) A lot of it my county is how you interview. I don't know how I managed that, since I'm not a people person. I do my volunteer work designing, planting and maintaining the demonstration Herb garden (most of the herbs are annuals, so it's an ongoing project.) I DID have to do my 1st yr. of 60 hrs. manning the phone calls (AGONY! -- I've never felt so stupid in my life! Talk about anxiety problems!. . . ) Anyway, I think, in my county anyway, you'd be accepted because of what you've done, anxiety problems notwithstanding. Maybe next year there will be different people doing the choosing (of maybe 25% of applicants, like when I got accepted?) It's good to be honest in the interview -- I was and got accepted even though I don't interact well with people and that's basically what the MG program here does. In the meantime, keep on learning and propagating and know that being accepted into the MG program may not be what you expected/wanted, anyway, so no great loss there.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

It is entirely possible you were number 36 when only 35 could be accepted. It's also possible that the interviewer was having a bad day. The easiest way to find out if it is worth your while to try again is to ask the agent if there is a way to improve your chances next time. Good luck. Sandy

• pianolady
    18 years ago

Try again. Often we just have too many people wanting to take a class, and too few openings.

• minibite
    18 years ago

I am puzzled by something; They required a 3 hour open book entrance exam? That sounds like a bit much for a MG program. In NJ, we were asked to complete an application and meet for an interview. Also, I didn't really bring up any deeply personal issue. Perhaps it was just a question of being full. Next time apply several months before the program begins.(Our program started in January, and I applied in September) Good luck!

• rhonda_in_fl
    18 years ago

They can't take all applicants in my program either. I was surprised at that--when I found out about the interview, I assumed it was just a measure of making sure we were dedicated to showing up. I didn't realize there was a 'cutting' process.

You could try again next time or chalk it up to life and keep rolling. I know from some of the interview questions, there must have been problems in the past with candidates not being able to be team players or working within a group. Possibly your candid answers may have given the wrong impression?

• passiflora2762
    18 years ago

I agree with Sleepless the class was probably full. Our county in Texas only lets the first 50 people take the class & they have over a100 sign up each year. Your lucky to be able to be a Master Gardner with just an open book test, we have to do a years worth of 3 hour classes every other week & volunteer 50 hours of work in our community. Try again next year & let them know about the Cemetary & Picnic grounds work you've done. I'm a Master Gardner for Hays County Texas and love it.

• napapen
    18 years ago

Alot of MGs here have gone back the 2nd time and been accepted. However we only take about 15 yearly. And one of the main things here is being able to speak in public. They want people who can conduct workshops. So I would suggest alittle experience in that area. The other is the time available for volunter time.

Penny

• gardenergail
    18 years ago

My program was more interested in the applicant's commitment to doing the volunteer hours. They want to ensure that the projects currently underway are adequately staffed and they don't want to spend a lot of time and money on a class where half of the people don't do the volunteer hours that are required.
    Gail

• jim_dandy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My counselor suggested that instead of wasting time trying to change what I think I might have done wrong I should call the MG people and find out exactly why I was rejected so that I can work on what I actually did wrong. My Dad and my Grandma both think that it's age discrimination and I should contact the state representatives and let their office make an inquiry. I thought that sounded a little extreme but they're convinced that the MG program has some explaining to do. I just don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to muscle my way in. The actual classes dont start until sometime in August. If anyone who had been accepted withdraws before then will they contact runners up to take their place? I cant imagine that everyone who was accepted will follow through. I would like to ask them what I got on the exam. I didnt spent three hours of my time taking a test for nothing.

• catrinajean
    18 years ago

Wow! Here the MG program takes anyone interested in paying the fee and coming to the classes. We had no application that I remember, and no interview. We had openbook tests each week and then had to do 40 hours of community gardening service, our choice. I took and enjoyed the classes, passed the tests with flying colors and am still a MG reject because I never completed the com. service. Good luck in trying again. cathy

• gardenmaker79
    18 years ago

I am with catrinajean. We had no application and no interview. We paid our money and went to class. I have compeated my 40 hours of volenteer work. :) We also had open book test each week. We were able to pick what we wanted to do in our volenteer work and I am working on a HUGE project. I will most likely have over 100+ hours by the end of this summer. I am started on this project and just cant seem to stop. hope you get into a class soon.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it that much. While I feel for you, you yourself would be far better off pursuing your LA degree and not worry about these MG's.

Gardening is something that I've been doing for over 40 years now. I hope to do it another 40 years. Seems to me that the MG local in your neck of the woods has a severe case of an 'elitist mindset'. It wouldn't surprise me if they felt you were from the 'wrong side of the tracks'.

Follow your own path. You'll be that much happier for it.

• Patriz
    18 years ago

What county did you apply? That might say it all. Some counties are really weird and snobbish. Check out my post to the Phila. County (which is the entire City of Philadelphia), as there were openings in the MG program. I heard it through the grapevine that the interviews and test were ways to weed people out of the MG programs in several counties, as they have way too many applicants and have to draw the line somewhere. One could speculate as to why you weren't selected, and it may be on subjective issues. Call them and ask, then go forward with a plan to continue your garden interests. Maybe that means reapplying to the MG program another year, or continuing studies at college :)

• coriander
    18 years ago

Jim,

I am 65, life is filled with rejections and most often for no good reason. Don't take it too personally. The class in my county in south central Pa. is often filled also. Your counselor has a good idea of asking, but I wouldn't bother with an inquiry.

Keep gardening and sharing you knowledge, produce, and flowers.

coriander

• jumpinjuniper
    18 years ago

Why Bother?

Not to insult anyone here. But May be you do not need to become a MG. I have been interested in taking the program myself just so I can call myself that. But just because you are not a master gardener doesn't mean you can't garden masterfully. And in fact I have met recent graduates of MG programs who do not know how to garden, they know the theory though.

• meadow_lark
    18 years ago

Where I am, they put a lot of emphasis on volunteer/community service, during the application process, as well as collecting your hours for final certification.

Many people simply want the title. They do not want to do the "service" to the community. Youd be amazed how many people dont bother coming to the monthly meetings. They dont want to do community service, and they dont want to get their required CEUs

Since I graduated, I have taken on both Chair and Co-chair positions. MGs shouldnt just graduate and "walk away". Being involved in your Chapter is important to the group as a whole.

The Master Gardener Program is only available because of the county extension offices. Without them we wouldnt have the opportunity to be Master Gardeners. We must give back

I dont know where you are in Penn, but if you are near a Botanical Garden, or any kind of "public" garden, if you offer yourself as a volunteer, it will be to your favor the next time you apply for the MG program. You can also check into volunteering to assist with horticultural therapy at a retirement center, doing Adopt-A-Spot/Adopt-A-Road or any kind of "gardening/environmental" related opportunity. Lastly, you may look into joining any of the gardening "groups" available in your area. There are groups such as "garden clubs" that deal with all types of gardening, and then there are "associations" such as the Daylily Association or the Herb or Hosta Society that would be glad to have you as a member.

All of these are very helpful when applying for the M.G. program.

Meadow Lark

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Jim, I think you're making too much of it and letting your anxiety and obsessiveness get you all worked up over what isn't really that big of an issue (really).

(Us "Master Gardeners" are really not "masters" of anything... we just have a better idea of where to look for answers when we have questions.)

First, the requirements for programs seem to vary WIDELY from state to state, and even from one program to another within some states. This is based on some discussions we had here when this forum first started a year or two ago (I haven't been here in a while... probably not since shortly after the forum first started, actually, lol), but at that time I learned that some states require tests, like the one you took, whereas some just have an application form, like mine does... Some require 40 hours volunteer work, some require 75... some require a certain number of hours volunteer work each subsequent year to recertify, others don't... There are many variations, and so much seems to be up to the particular state extension service and maybe even the local extension services that operate individual programs.

In my county, they offer two classes each fall -- an afternoon and an evening class. There's a 2 or 3-year wait to get into the evening class, but you can usually get into the afternoon class the same year you apply, although not always. It's possible, as someone said, your program was just full for this year... It's also possible something you said or something in your behavior was an issue.

Either way, I'm guessing your best bet is to just not let it bother you, NOT raise a stink about it and apply again next year... perhaps sooner. If you call to find out why you were rejected, ask if the class was just full for this year and if there's a waiting list. In my local program they keep people on the waiting list from one year to the next, if they say they're willing to wait.

DON'T act like it's a big deal. UNLESS you find some kind of really powerful evidence this program IS discriminating in some way, making waves is likely to do nothing but ensure that you WON'T get in next year, or any other year, if you decide to try again.

Best of luck next time,
    Jeff

• goldenpond
    18 years ago

Part of the interview I had was to let me know that all information you give out as a MG must be ONLY that which is University of Fl and the Ext office approved. They want us to think about the consequenses on the environment and teach that chemicals and fertilizers cause alot of problems especially with our high water table.We had to prove not to be sqeamish as we spent time at the entomology lab and disected owl pellets. They also did a background check since we could be working with children.The fee was under $150.00.My county has no Hort Agent in place so they depend highly on the Master Gardeners.We have only about 35 so we are required to do 75 hours of volunteer service. Like any other organization, hospitals, businesses and even churches,there are good ones and questionable ones. We MGs take alot of verbal abuse and even my friends have taken to calling me a HIPPIE because of my stance on the environment.Don't let not being accepted take you down but if you are looking for respect the program really won't help. That is already within you.Go after your dream.

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

I agree with several other posts stating that perhaps the class was full, you may have barely missed it. Don't assume the others who made it were chosen on their first try, perhaps this was the second or third time for some of them. You're making too much out of it and are trying to muscle your way in. Drop the suspicion, the "rejected" attitude and try again next time. I definitely do not recomend looking for a scapegoat or going on a "witch hunt" to vindicate yourself. You'll only alienate people and it won't help you at all. If you come across as a trouble maker you'll be defeated before you even start. Do try to find out why you weren't chosen but do it in a positive way. Do you really want to be part of the program and would like to do better in your next interview or do you just want special treatment? We have a current session waiting list, have you asked if you could be put on one? You need to communicate in a positive way with the MG program you're trying to get into.

(In using the term "witch hunt" I, in no way, mean any offense to Wiccans. I only used it to illustrate self serving attitudes.)

Our program not only looks for people who enjoy gardening but also people who enjoy working with others. How are your people skills? Do you come across as a know-it-all or pushy? Can you take direction and work with others? Perhaps you need more experience working in a volunteer organization. Don't give up, look around you and find another group. Master Gardeners aren't the only game in town.
    Don't broadcast personal issues, it's not any one's business but yours. Some people get "wierded" out by others who don't fit the preconceived molds they want to stick them into.
    Why not go back to school? In the long run it might serve your needs better.
    Perhaps the real problem you're facing is a thing called "life". You're young and don't have much experience with the real world yet, don't give up. Try to learn and improve yourself at each opportunity, you'll be a better person.
    Don't forget that we're all people too, even MG's.

• clemmybug
    18 years ago

I'm really impressed with the answers and encouragement you all gave. I am not a MG nor do I really want to be. At the moment I am studying a gardening course and really enjoy gardening. Like the person who started this thread I have an anxiety disorder. It was made worse several years ago by a really horrific experience I would not wish on anyone. Gardening has been one way for me, not to escape, but to come to terms with this particular nightmare. It has helped me to find myself while doing something enjoyable and productive outside with nature. I do know that gardening shouldn't be something that causes undo stress but reduces it. I think the responses you have given are all worthwhile considerations but the most important one is just to garden because you enjoy gardening. Period!!! We don't always know the reasons why things do not go the way we want them to. Sometimes there is a better plan that we are completely unaware of. There could be an endless list of why you did not make MG including that they were all booked up to the person doing the interview was having a bad day. Who knows BUT if you truly enjoy gardening then continue gardening. Don't worry so much about the outcome,...just enjoy the moments. Someone here said to just volunteer locally. You'll be noticed and apply again if you still want to.
    Happy Gardening!
    Clemmybug

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

I was startled to read your family was encouraging you to make complaints to the state rep. Age discrimination would be stupid in MG groups. My own group's ages range from 15 to 82. We recently had a couple of older members resign due to age and health problems but at least one of them will be giving one of the classes for the new interns. The youngest started out in the jr. MGs and we hope to keep them at least til they finish high school.
    Your councilor gives good advice. Finding out what the problem was and working to overcome it is a mature and sensible reaction. Complaining that the selection process is unfair is childish and a huge overreaction especially if you don't know what the process is.I'm sure you were disapointed at not being selected but I would think you would want to make yourself strong enough that not everything in your life is going to be colored by your bad experience in collage. That gives control to the person who stalked you even if that person has no connection to your current life. I'm sure that would thrill him/her no end. I hope you try again and succeed but please remember MG is not designed as therapy even if it serves that purpose. Sandy

• cherrisa
    18 years ago

It might be how many people. I can't imagine that they would reject anyone. It's volunteer for cryin out loud. Our county takes the first 150 per year to sign up. They had to put a limit on it because one year we had 250 in the class. Then you just have to do the 40 volunteer hours and then do 25 per year plus 8 continuing education credits to maintain your status.

• poiu
    18 years ago

Keep your head up, Chief!

Everyone has hit the head on several levels as to the shortcomings of MG programs (even though there are advantages, too). As a horticultural professional, I do not give any instant "oohs or ahhs" to anyone who barks that they are an MG...it means first of all, that they have a lot of free time, and then they have all but about 14 hours of "training" and are programmed to regurgitate info that academics at a state land-grant University recommend. You cannot deviate from that as a MG.

What I find most helpful are those true gardeners (that have a decade's worth of experience beyond annual bedding plants) that then go for a feather in their cap and get a TASTING of what garden professionals have to digest in courses. Their experience, when explained and augmented by the MG courses (and believe me, the quality of courses varies between counties) is deepened and strengthened.

• ccoombs1
    18 years ago

In my county, we have space for 20 new trainees. We usually have over 60 applicants. So don't sweat it....there probably just wasn't space. Try again next year.

• Blond_Bimbo
    18 years ago

Well Jim Dandy, here are the reasons that potential applicants are rejected as I see it in our county:
    A. If someone has questionable Legal Problems with
    abuse or drugs or a felony, they are out
    B. During the initial panel interview you turn one
    or more of the interviewers off with saying that
    they only believe in organic gardening. The
    interviewers want to hear that you practice IPM
    and that you would spray if necessary. I practice
    IPM and hardly ever have to spray.
    C. If someone appears to want to join the program
    with the purpose of moving on to a horticultural
    paying job and drop out of the program after they
    get a free education
    D. Favor will be given to friends and family of
    current mg's who apply.
    E. Favor will be given to someone who has money or
    political connections which can be of benefit
    to extension to provide networking in the community
    F. Preference will be given to those who have a higher
    education already thus proving that they like to learn
    G. The selection is made from many and a few are chosen
    each year for the program. The space is limited.

The initial test is just to show everyone that gardening is a life-long learning process and that no one, not even the professors know it all. We all have to look things up and rely on each other for information and sometimes even make new discoveries. The panel interview we took was overwhelming and scarey for some applicants, but then again, so is giving a talk in front of 7 park rangers and 30 various assorted people for the first time. The mg test is hard, open book, answers had to be qualified from notes from class or other approved reference material. The hours were many as a volunteer, my first year I put in 185 and then was rejected to be on the advisory board, because I didn't have the "vision" though my peers said they would have voted me in at a heartbeat for my dedication alone to the program and the fun they had in working with me. I was heartbroken, but knew that it was a political decision and didn't take it personally. I've worked on every committee and created teamwork where there was formerly none. It's the agents decision in the final round. Sometimes ya gotta just roll with the punches and find other outlets for your volunteer efforts Maybe you should get a masters in horticulture and become an agent for a county! I know a few who went that route when things weren't going as planned. When I get all done with my mg stuff and advanced training classes, I just move on and go to help other organizations who also appreciate me so much that they take me to dinners, theaters, send me gift certificates etc. At our group, we don't receive extra hour pins, get to participate in mg of the year awards or agent of the year awards, we do it all simply because we love each other and learning and teaching about gardening. There are a plenty out there who would love to have you help them! I love being an mg and getting others involved in gardening and solving problems. Hope you try again next year!
    In the meantime, be sure to go to a lot of the mg talks which are offered at county extension to get the feel of things in your county extension office. Each one is a little different than the others.

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

It depends on where you live. My county is not competitive at all, but there are nearby counties where you almost have to be a botanist to get in. High tech areas attract people with amazing experiences and educational backgrounds (I'm not one of them).

If I were you, I would ask them why. IT's a public program, so I believe they have to tell you how they came about their decision. And definitely, try again!

claire in nc