Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

Need Opinions from other MG groups

brenda_near_eno
17 years ago

Hi, Does your MG group recognize new members after they complete the training (42 hours), or are they only full members after completion of first year of volunteering? When do new members get rights to vote for election of advisory committee members?

Comments (8)

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Our newly trained MGs are not considered fully "trained" until they have given their 50 hours of vounteer time. Quite a lot of learning goes on during that first year outside the classroom. Newbies (we call them "seedlings") are mentored for their first year and have a more experienced MG (perennial!) with them for many activities. They get their certificates at a presentation in November after their 50 hours are complete.

• CarolnWbg
    17 years ago

Our group is so small and so grateful to have new members that we involve them right away in whatever we are doing. We try to plan enough activities that, if they participate, they won't have any difficulty getting their required 50 hours served. They will receive their certificates next spring, but we consider them to be part of our group as soon as they complete their classes.
    Carol

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Our Master Gardening group is small and we must volunteer 75 hours!We have no personal mentors ,but then we have no hort agent either. We do spend time training at the extension office with another seasoned MG and basically must jump in where there is a need to get our hours.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

goldenpond,

It's up to you to help create your program. If there is no mentor program, start one. Send something out to current members asking for sign ups to be a mentor to new members.

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

50 hours the 1st year here; full members after the initial course plus one year volunteering plus the continuing ed.; I've never heard about any voting in my group

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Just for the record I was answering a question not complaining Violet. Life is too short and too Good to be negative!And the even better news is we now have a Hort agent and our mandatory volunteer hours will be reduced to 35.Most will keep on serving way above and beyond that.
    The newbies will be graduating soon and will be ready and able to share their LOVE of gardening with others.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

We're called MG interns until we graduate in November, after having completed our 60 hours of volunteer service. I sure like the "seedlings" and "perennials" designations!

Yes, a lot of learning takes place that first year, and we each have a mentor assigned, though I find other experienced MGs are usually more than willing to help as well. The new students are encouraged to get involved in many activities even before the last class is held. (If you want specifics, I'll be happy to provide.)

As for voting in Master Gardener Association matters, certified members may vote. Therefore, we interns are not eligible to vote until we've graduated, but are more than welcome at the general and all subcommittee meetings. As a matter of fact, my mentor contacted me and invited me to attend the General Meeting that was held just before our first class, and I was very pleased to be able to attend.

• tommie_jo
    16 years ago

We encourage MG students and interns to attend our monthly Association meetings as guest; we also have a board officer position that coordinates volunteer activities for non-certified students/interns. At the completion of their classroom training each receives a "certificate" acknowledging their status as "MG Interns" and when they complete their 50 certification hours within 12 months of the end of classroom work, they become "Certified Texas Master Gardeners" and are welcome to pay yearly dues and join our Association  only then are they eligible to vote in elections, run for office, etc.

Tommie C.
    Past President  Travis Co. (Texas) MG Association

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH