Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny avocados are dropping

Posted by jmmedeiros z9USA,CALIFORNI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 13:21

Hello Members,
I have a robust 14 feet high Mexicola Grande tree.It has been producing in the last 4 years. The crop keeps increasing each year goes by. Last crop I had 50 avocados. This tree has been in backyard 8 years and is growing fast.
This year I suspect I am going to have less fruits.The year as far as rain has been a great year.We can prove that with the reservoirs levels in Santa CLara County. Since the fruit starte forming we have not had wind storms that would knock down the tiny fruits. After the flowering was over I noticed large number of tiny fruits forming. For some reason large number of fruits just dropped. I wonder what are the possible causes for this to happen. I appreciate any info on what might be causing this. Thank you for your info. Jaime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny avocados are dropping

Could be several things. Many fruit trees often set more fruit that the tree can possibly support, dropping some eases the stress on the plant.
A sudden spike in heat can trigger fruit drop as can water stress. There are nutritional reasons for fruit drop but your tree sounds healthy. Poor pollination can also result in fruit drop.
Is there still a good amount of fruit on the tree?

o
RE: Tiny avocados are dropping

Yes.There is still a good amount of fruit there.But I expect the crop to be higher than last year.Facts will prove. The caliper trunk size at base currently is about 4 feet.I doubt it is heat stress or water stress,this year the temps have been quite consistenly low compared to last year.In the spring we had good rain.This has been a great year for rain.Most reservoirs aroun here are full.
So I do not see reason for drought which causes stress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here