Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujam_gw

Need Help with Gardening Games

Jujam
18 years ago

Our county is hosting a MG advanced training program this fall and we are trying to come up with some "breaking the ice" games that we can play especially that first day of registration so that when people show up they don't just go to their little groups. We want something that will sort of get everyone to mingle with everyone else and also just to take a break from the lectures, etc. Does anyone have any gardening games that they would be willing to share. We expect to have about 50-60 MG's in attendance. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• Jujam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Joe - thank you very much those sound great! I'll copy your post and take it to our meeting next week.

Last year we had cotton balls dipped in 5 flower fragrances and had one fragrance per bottle and mixed them up unlabeled. We handed a bottle to each person as they registered and then told them they had to find someone with a similar "smell". That turned out to be fun, but we wanted something different and these sound great.

Thanks again.

• ejb190
    18 years ago

Another really neat ice breaker is "Secret Smells" from Texas A&M's Junior Master Gardener Book. It is basically like the card game (Number 1) above, but you hand each person a black 35mm film canster with a cotton ball dabbed with something smelly. The groups have to find themselves the same way insects do - by smell (No talking!). Just a bit of caution. Some people do get smell induced migrane headaches.

• Jujam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

EJB190 - thank so much for your suggestion. We have a meeting next week and I'll have some good ideas to share.

Judy

• Eddie_GA
    18 years ago

Oversize nametaqs are good ice breakers. Have people search for at least 2 matches. Example:
    EDDIE GREENMAN: fruit trees, grafting, vegetables, stand-up comedian, guitarist, songwriter, flirt.
    (limit garden comments to 4) (minimum of personal info:3)

Also, on my website there is a cute little quiz. Logon to
    http://www.mindspring.com/~erhoades/contests/index.htm and scroll to Name That Tree.
    You are welcome.

• Jujam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Eddie - but I was unable to log onto your website for some reason.

• buckhill
    18 years ago

Great suggestions! We have played MAster Gardener Bingo to introduce new members to the group at their first meeting after training. I divided a sheet of paper into 25 squares and put some gardening characteristic in each one. The instructions are to get the signature of someone in each box who has: a water garden, grows raspberries, starts their own vegetable seedlings, sells at a farmer's market, has more than 3 types of lilies, etc, etc. People mingle and talk, and when their cards are filled with signatures (cannot repeat names if you have a large group), we play BINGO by pulling names of people present out of a hat. When you cover five people's names in a row, you have a winner!

• Jujam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW - what a great game also - thank you for your input.

Judy

• Eddie_GA
    18 years ago

Judy,
    Sometimes , on certain days you can't always get what you want - on the Internet. Please try again as this is a cute quiz on my site, listed below. Once there, click on contests and scroll down to the tree quiz.
    Sample:
    tree clue - HAND
    answer - PALM tree
    Eddie

Here is a link that might be useful: CONTESTS

• Jujam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Eddie - you've got a real cool website !!! Thank you very much for sharing.

• passiflora2762
    18 years ago

Taste tests of unlabled edible herbs are fun to do, even more fun in the yard wear they are actually growing.

• Jujam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Passiflora - that also is a great idea and one that I will jot down for the future. Unfortunately our county extension office is leasing the building and only has a small postage stamp area to have some demonstration areas set up. We were trying to get a grant to move to a larger facility with lots of land, but last year's hurricanes in put the move on hold.

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

Jujam:

Update? Results?

Joe

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

This is TOTALLY unhelpful, but...My friend Yulia and I joke a lot about "Extreme Gardening, the sport". Her extreme gardening events are "boulder-moving" and "pit-digging". My extreme gardening events are the "overplanted garden-bed one-foot balance for weeding" and the "bulb-a-thon". Gardening is NOT for wimps :-)