Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguru1950

What information do you need?

gardenguru1950
18 years ago

Someone posted a question asking for favorites classes.

I am curious as to what ADDITIONAL classes (subjects, disciplines, procedures) graduate master gardeners feel would truly advance their studies.

Maybe it's simply and advanced course in xxxxx. Or it could be something totally different.

Based on your input from home gardeners, what do master gardeners need in the way of further education ?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments (7)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

I would like more information about identifying trees. I'm very weak in that area.

• gardener_sandy
    18 years ago

Plant identification in general would be very helpful. One on perennials, one on trees, one on shrubs, etc. or any combination that works. Many of us are very good at some kinds of plants and very weak on others. Weed ID (lawn weeds especially) makes a good class, also. This might be better as two or three classes during the course of the year since many lawn weeds show up for short periods of time. Pictures are great but living samples are much better! These types of classes could be done as field trips to local yards or parks if they are available for the group. Knowing what plant you're looking at makes diagnosing pest problems so much easier.

(Personally, I have one section of so called "lawn" that I jokingly call my weed laboratory. Anybody in our group is welcome to come and try to id the weeds growing there. The fee for this privilege is one large handful of weeds pulled from the "real" lawn! LOL)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Our leader is on top of that problem and since he listens to all of us very well, we have lots of extra classes or at the least, a new book or two will show up in the conference room. Many of us would like more but the problem isn't that serious for us. Sandy

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

I would love a weed ID class to help ID a lot of the weeds in my yard too! The lawn looks green but up close.... Also a tree and shrub leaf ID class is the 2nd best idea to help further our knowledge.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I would like an advanced class on diagnosing plant problems by the study of the leaves. Being able to identify nutrient deficencies or soil problems like boron from the look of the leaves would be helpful. Al

• napapen
    18 years ago

I think I would like to learn more about insects both good and bad.

Penny

• gardenmaker79
    18 years ago

Joe, I have taken extra classes this year. Hear are some I have enjoyed. I took a grafting class. We learned what needs to meet so the tree will grow. We got to take crafted apple trees we did home with us. IT was a great class.

Another class that I enjoyed was purning. I have taken 2 of them so far. One was on pruning shubs. I took one on Antique Apple tree pruning also. I never thought I would enjoy purning but I love to get out there and prune away now.

Another class I have taken was a rose an hydranges class. I found out why my roses die each time I plant them. I was not planting them deep enough with the mound to cover it far enough. I also became a new owener of my first hydranga since this class. Wish me luck.

One class I would really like to find is a nite garden class. One that helps you figure out what plants to put in a garden to make it more for after dark with just faint lighting or moon light. I think I could really enjoy this class.

I find any class at all I rather enjoy. I just cant seem to get enough of the education to make me happy. I am always looking for any class at all that fits into my busy work hours. Hope you can find more class ideas.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz