Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jerry Baker tonics

Posted by want-to-b-gardener none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 20:12

What is your opinion of using Jerry Baker tonics on vegetable gardens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jerry Baker tonics

A waste of time and often money!! And potentially detrimental to plant health and soil quality.

Honestly, it does depend on exactly what 'tonic' you are considering using -- some, like cayenne pepper, ARE moderately effective in discouraging critters like rabbits or deer. But none are the wonder products Baker would like you to believe they are. Sound, established gardening practices are always more desirable than homemade elixirs that promise to 'fix' everything. And many of his tonics could prove to be quite damaging if used excessively or incorrectly.

btw, as far as I know, Jerry Baker is a self-proclaimed "expert" (debatable) and has no relationship with any Master Gardener program. In fact, I believe he has trademarked the title of "America's Master Gardener". IMO, he is nothing more than a slick salesman that has focused his attentions - very profitably - on America's passion for gardening.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 0:38

America's Snake Oil Gardener!

o

"Snake oil gardener"? Ooo, I like that!
Better keep it quiet, JB might mix up a new concoction based on it.

Learn how to garden correctly and don't waste your time, energy or money on sideshow "remedies".

o

Have the Master Gardeners censored him at all?
I think he's given the whole organization a bad name with his hokey approach to gardening.
Mike

o

Have the Master Gardeners censored him at all?
I think he's given the whole organization a bad name with his hokey approach to gardening.
Mike

o

Not publicly but we are only allowed and trained to give scientifically based information

o

So scientifically speaking, one could say JB is really a snake oil salesman ? : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here