Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unable to Weed/What's Going to Happen?

Posted by flowerbrackob z4 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 20:51

I'm to have hip surgery and will not be able to do the chore; I even enjoy weeding, it's like therapy. Albeit I'll be doing
a totally different therapy.
Is It Possible To Let Them Be? I even wonder if I can't do it at all, and have to leave them until frost/winter, will they choke out the perennials?
Or:maybe the winter will just kill them? I've also seen products that spray on lawns, kill the weeds and Do Not Kill the Grass;would that products work on the beds too?
More than worried for my ten years of work on my fleurs of sanity they create for me.
WHAT TO DO??????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jaemy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unable to Weed/What's Going to Happen?

heavy mulch

o
RE: Unable to Weed/What's Going to Happen?

Ditto what bambooo said. If you can still work in the beds, mulch with pretty much anything organic you can get. The weeds might not kill the perennials you want to keep but there's an old saying, "one years seeds equal seven years weeds." The weeds will produce millions of seeds and give you fits over the next few years. Plus, a well mulched bed will be less likely to suffer from any drought you get this summer.

The herbicides for lawns kill broad leaf plants and most perennials fall into that category. There is at least one herbicide that kills grass but not broad leaf plants. If you use that, be sure to read the label carefully since it's not safe on all ornamental perennials either.

Good luck with your surgery. Maybe you could supervise somebody else doing the weeding this summer. It would be a good learning experience for some young person in your neighborhood or some young family member with a stronger back and hips. Use a stick to point to the "weeds" as opposed to the desirable plants. Lessons in horticulture and experience in caring for others are invaluable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here