Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
helping out at a free swap

Posted by kathy547 z8 AR (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 16:05

I am not a master gardener but I am hosting a plant swap in August in Magnolia, AR. Since Magnolia is about 22 miles from the Louisiana state line, I am submitting information about the swap in newspapers within an hour & a half's drive from Magnolia. I'll put flyers up in feed stores & nurseries. I thought about sending information to area entension agencies in both Arkansas & Louisiana. So far, I've only managed to get a couple of family members to volunteer to help with the swap. I know master gardeners do volunteer stuff so would helping out at the swap be something they would/could do? The plant swap is free so I'm not sure it would count. Information about the swap is on the Southern & Get Together forums.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: helping out at a free swap

MGs in our area do plant swaps a couple of times a year but mostly among themselves. The only way you will know about your MGs is to contact them in several counties near your. Most county extension offices are independent and do things differently from each other. Even if the agent doesn't allow the MGs to count the time as volunteer time, I'm sure many would be interested in it. (Free is always good!)

High summer is not the exact best time since it's best to divide and plant in spring or fall, but that's no reason to not do it. The plants will just need extra care during the rest of the summer to be sure they don't suffer from heat and drought until they can get established.

Good luck with your swap.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here