Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmaker79

need advise on media

gardenmaker79
18 years ago

Ok heres something for all you master gardeners to ponder over. When I was taking my class the MDOT Department of transportation came in to talk to us. They had some medias that was requested by people in the city put flowers in. No one has been caring for these medias asked if we as a group would be intrested in taking on this project. ONE certain lady in the class says oh YES and that she had list of all flowers/shubs that were put in. One weekend back in April we got contacted about this project by a differenet lady. I was more then happy to say yes I would be there. The lady who called and I were the only two who showed up. Well there has been about 4 or 5 more volenteers that has showed up for 1 to 4 hours. The lady that volenteered and said YES is yet to show up. Well this project it huge and I am still working on it alone. I know people are noticing what I am doing becouse they stop says it looks great/ good job ect. I am working where there is alot of traffic and some semi's that go by each Fri when I am there hawks from the freeway I am near and some of the other passerbys that I see weekly hawks and waves. Since I am on the 2nd section of 4 how can I try to get more people to volenteer to come and pull weeds. I was sending emails to everyone every time I was going but I finally relized it wasnt helping. I am thinking once I get this section done I may just work on keeping it clean this year. If I get time I may go back to the first section and pull a few weeds but the section I am on is being cleaned for the 1st time in 3 years. It will need extra attention to keep it clean. The other section that I helped on has been cleaned each year so weeds less in that section. Do you other master gardeners think I'm wrong if I stop after this section. I have put over 75 hours into it so far this year. I will have more then 100 hours by time I am done with this section.

Comments (7)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Do you mean medial strips on the highway? Yes, you can certainly stop after you finish the section. I would inform your MG coordinator that you're stopping after putting in 75 hours. If she/he deems it necessary, they can put out a call for more volunteers.

• gardenmaker79
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks blueheron, If it wasnt for working full time I could do this project faster. But when its full of crat grass its really hard to get anywhere fast.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Becoming a master gardener is not supposed to mean volunteering as a slave. We are to help the gardening public with gardenimg education. That does not mean we are to garden for them. No wonder the drop out rate is so high. Al

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Do y'all mean "medians"? In my county, we focus on education, some hands-on help, but not a lot. I have more garden than I can comfortably contend with so I only put in time on presentations and responding to hotline calls. Oh, and the occasional garden tour to see new stuff.

I support you in doing what will please you and allow you to contribute in a way you value. You don't have to take responsibility for someone else's "yes". Best wishes with whatever you decide.

• gardenmaker79
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the advise. I dont mind helping out but I do feel after I finish the section I am on I will only try to keep that section cleaned the rest of the summer. I do love how its looking and its nice to see the difference I am making. I just need to move onto something different and besides I will have all the volenteer hours I need to become an advanced master gardener. I dont want to stop when this section is over half done. I thing that would be a real shame to do so I will finish it then I will just consntrate on keeping it cleaned the rest of this year. Next year we will see what happens. I may only worry about this section so I know it wont get as bad as it was this year.
    thanks again for your advise.

• ironbelly1
    18 years ago

I join Al on this one.

"Becoming a master gardener is not supposed to mean volunteering as a slave. We are to help the gardening public with gardenimg education. That does not mean we are to garden for them. No wonder the drop out rate is so high."

I see absolutely nothing of educational value to this "project". In my county, you wou get ZERO hours of credit for this one.

If you enjoy doing this kind of volunteer effort, that is fine. Lord knows that every community is improved through the efforts of volunteers. However, slave labor like this example, under the umbrella of the Master Gardeners, does a disservice to the program.

IronBelly

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

I would check with the MG agent and ask about setting up a schedule for workers. If there are not enough volunteers, the project should be canceled. Someone is taking advantage of you, big time but they may not realize it. Sandy

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm