Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherilou_2010

Master Gardners DON'T help the elderly and disabled??

sherilou_2010
13 years ago

I went to the Otero County fair here in New Mexico on 8/13/10 about 2p.m. and there was a Master Gardener's booth. I was so excited to talk to them!! I had never met an official Master Gardener before.

I had heard some where that Master Gardener's log volunteer hours for helping the elderly and disabled. The woman at the Master Gardener's booth told me that WE don't do "that kind" of volunteer work, because everybody would be using us for help and taking advantage of us.

I, very kindly, explained to this woman that the reason I asked is that The elderly couple I volunteer for (ages 84 and 89) need help rototilling their small garden in the late winter and maybe putting-in one more small, raised garden bed. I can't do rototilling or put-in a raised garden bed because my left arm is paralized from a car crash. I help my senior friends by weeding (pain allowing) and watering for them in their small garden as well as by purchasing some seeds and plants for them.

She said she had heard of "some guy in town" that does that, BUT WE DON'T. She didn't even have the guy's contact information.

I was so excited to talk to the Master Gardeners, because I thought I could return to my senior friends with some good news and because I'm passionate about growing little vegetable "Victory Gardens". Instead of enjoying my first experience with Master Gardeners, I got quickly and curtly shut-down and disappointed. I was the only one visiting the booth at the time. There were two women running the booth, neither of them were helpful or interested in me as a gardner.

Comments (16)

• gardener_sandy
    13 years ago

The previous poster was absolutely correct. Master Gardeners are not free labor for the community but a source of education for people who have questions. The problem was in the presentation of the information and the extension agent in the county should be made aware of what happened. If he/she doesn't know, the attitude may be repeated. If you report it, please don't be angry with the MGs. We frequently get such requests and must learn the proper way to respond.

Sandy

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

I too am sorry for the rude response you received. The woman was correct but she certainly could have been more gracious. It's a common misconception that Master Gardeners actually work other's gardens. We definetely are an education oriented group.
    Professorroush has some excellent suggestions. If the Otero Co. Extension Office or MG's can't help then drive over to Dona Ana Co. We have some excellent resources and experienced veggie gardening folks that would be glad to share tips.

• sherilou_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish she had been more gracious, interested and helpful, as all of you have. I will try to find some inexpensive mulch sources... thank you!

• professorroush
    13 years ago

If you have grass...I'm not assuming anything in New Mexico :)...the easiest mulch is grass clippings. Chopped up leaves also will work if you're not exposed to much wind. Even better to layer the two. You may read that the clippings shed water but since most of my garden beds are mulched with clippings and I haven't watered all year, I'd say that's essentially crap. Doesn't look great, but put it down 4-6 inches thick, an inch or two at a time, letting the grass dry, and that'll suppress weeds and conserve moisture...and grow earthworms.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

As a recently retired Master Gardener, after 15 years, you have been offered excellent information here. For much of the last few years I, and many others, have been presenting workshops on gardening free for the new gardener. These workshops are mentioned in local papers in gardening columns or advice columns written by Master Gardeners. I have had audiences up to 100 at a workshop. Here gardeners are encouraged to ask their questions, where all present can benefit from the answers. Watch your newspapers or call the local county extension for a list of public workshops in your area. Al

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Grass clippings do make an excellent mulch. I use them and have never had them shed water either.
    Another good and usually free mulch in our area is pine straw (needles). This time of year the Afghan/Mondale pines are going through their Fall needle drop. I'm guessing that you have a lot of these trees in Otero Co., we have an oodle gob of them over here in Dona Ana.
    I "curb shop" for my pine straw. People set it out nicely bagged and I drive by scoop it up! I do drive around and scope out yards with Afghan pines, noting the ones that are weedy or not. Even if you do get weeds growing through the pine straw they are often so spindly and leggy they're easy to pull out.
    Good luck!

• planetes
    13 years ago

Just as a general question in line with the responses, wouldn't grass clippings as mulch throw off the nitrogen levels of the soil? I ask simply because if it does, it would mean using a less nitrogen based fertilizer to help balance fruit production on many plants.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Re; the grass clippings, read Linda Chalker-Scott's books "The Informed Gardener" and "The Informed Gardener Blooms Again". Chalker-Scott is a University professor writing to contradict some long-held gardening myths, one of which is that grass clippings or any other mulch ON TOP of the soil will deplete it of nitrogen....it simply doesn't. Now if it's mixed into the soil, it'll temporarily use up the nitrogen until the mulch is broken down but on top of the soil, it won't affect nitrogen in the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blogspot on Chalker-Scott's latest book.

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Ah but if it's mixed in the soil isn't it then considered an amendment? Mulch, of whatever material, is a surface covering.
    Re: Chalker-Scott's books
    I've heard of these but have never met anyone who's read any. Do you recommend them?

• gardener_sandy
    13 years ago

nmgirl, you can find quite a few articles by Chalker-Scott at the link below. They are interesting reading. I haven't seen her books.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural myths

• napapen
    13 years ago

Although we don't recommend people or do gardening for others, there are several Master Gardeners in our organization who do it professionally. They can't take hours for this work but they can earn money as gardeners applying the Master Gardener practices. I have on occasion been paid for giving talks and I always turn it over to the UC system for our group.

I think people think we are free garden workers and that is not what we are trained for.

Penny N. Ca

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Grass clippings as a mulch assumes the cut grass is less than an inch long. Mulching mowers simply re-cut the cut grass so the pieces are small. Such grass will benefit the lawn. Al

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

"Grass clippings as a mulch assumes the cut grass is less than an inch long." This is an incorrect assumption. Grass clippings of any length can be used successfully as mulch.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

[[[...I got quickly and curtly shut-down and disappointed....]]]

If you go through life expecting other people to do heavy labor for you for free, you are going to go through life being disappointed often.

You might try calling some churches and see if they have volunteers that help the elderly. Other than that, if you and your friends are not capable of rototilling and you can't find anyone to do it for free (and all the money out of their own pocket to drive over, gas for the rototiller, service and sharpening for the rototiller, and their time), then figure out how to garden without rototilling.

Lots of successful gardeners are growing veggies "no till".

There is a forum right here on Garden Web that is devoted to elderly and less-abled gardeners. If you click on "enabling" you will find it. It is full of excellent advice.

It is very kind of you to volunteer and help that elderly couple. You are certainly racking up good karma points. But, while you get to give away your own time, you do not get to give away other people's time.

Your correct response would have been "Thank you. I thought it was worth my time to ask, and now I know." Instead of getting all indignant that they declined to do free work for you.

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Oregon, you've made some good observations.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting