Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spike_gw

Welcome!

-spike-
19 years ago

I hope this proves helpful for those participating in, and organizing, volunteer programs.

Have fun!

Spike

Comments (17)

• ltcollins1949
    19 years ago

Thanks for this forum. I've been involved in MG on about 3 other forums.

• Sowth Efrikan
    19 years ago

Kewl Spike, thanks for the forum. I will let my MG class know there is a forum for them here, and the county ext offices involved, also.

• dreamgardener
    19 years ago

SowthEfrikan, where are you taking a class? I live near Fort Worth and would like to find out from someone who has taken the classes what they are like.

• ocbird
    19 years ago

Thank you Spike, this is a great idea! This is my first season as a Master Gardener and it'll be fun to talk to others.

• ltcollins1949
    19 years ago

dreamgardener
    This was posted under the Texas Gardening Forum. This should answer your question about Fort Worth.

RE: Any Master Gardeners out there?
    Posted by: TXcathy7b8a (My Page) on Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 11:29

I emailed Dotty Woodson, Extension Agent for Tarrant County, asking about the Master Gardener Program for Tarrant County. Here is her response:
    "Master Gardeners are volunteers for Texas Cooperative Extension, the off
    campus faculty for Texas A&M University.
    . The Master Gardener become Extension educators and teach gardening to
    the community through demonstration projects, programs, lectures
    activities, mass media and at the Extension office.

Volunteers who want to become a Master Gardener take 72 hours of
    training and volunteer 72 hours to become a certified Master Gardener.
    After taking the training classes Master Gardener Interns are guided by
    mentors to complete an intern year which adds to the classroom
    education. There is a 72 hour volunteer obligation the intern year to be
    a certified Master Gardener and 30 hour every year to keep the Master
    Gardener certification.

Master Gardener training classes are held in Tarrant County in January
    and February every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. at the
    Extension office, 401 East Eighth Street.

The application process starts September 22, 10:00 to 12:00 with an
    orientation.

If you are interested, show up for the September orientation."

I'm planning to attend that orientation meeting. Just thought I'd share the info in case there are other Tarrant County gardeners that might be interested.

Cathy

• herself
    19 years ago

Hey Spike, This is great. It will be nice to exchange ideas & info with other M.G.s I'll have tell some of the other Master Gardener's I know about this! Thanks!
    Herself

• little_dani
    19 years ago

I appreciate this forum so much, Spike. Thanks.

Janie

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

Hey there, Spike.Thanks for the opportunity to see what other MGs are doing. There are no two programs alike and new info is always appreciated. Will spread the word. Sandy

• blueheron
    19 years ago

Thanks for this forum. As a Penn State MG, I'm always interested in what other MG's are doing in other states.

• jeffahayes
    19 years ago

Yes, I was thrilled to see that two of the three newest forums added were Master Gardener (been looking for an MG forum, lol) and ground covers (besides grass), which is also a passion of mine as I attempt to replace grass with prettier stuff that's evergreen and doesn't require mowing (like wintergreen and pennywort, for starters).

Thanks again for the new forum!
    Jeff

• dreamgardener
    19 years ago

Cathy,

Thank you so much for the information on the Fort Worth orientation. I'm going to try to attend (if there's not a kid crisis).

I'd still like to hear from someone who has taken the Fort Worth classes. Were they informative? Were they fun? And how are you serving your volunteer hours?

• angelcub
    19 years ago

Thanks, Spike, for another great forum-to-be, I'm sure!

Diana

• ltcollins1949
    19 years ago

dreamgardener
    Actually I posted Cathy's response from the the Texas Gardening Forum under the following thread:

RE: Any Master Gardeners out there?
    Posted by: TXcathy7b8a (My Page) on Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 11:29

I was just trying to get you the Fort Worth information. You can go to the Texas Gardner Forum and try to respond to Cathy there.

I live down in Rockport, Aransas County, Texas on the Coastal Bend. It's nothing like Tarrant County--it's incredibly hot and humid here.

Good luck. I think that you will enjoy MG.

• Magret
    19 years ago

This is wonderful! Hello to all Master Gardeners. I've hoped many times that this forum would come to pass and now here it is. Yaaaa!

• stitches216
    19 years ago

Thank you Spike! Even if I never get to MG status, I still believe in the adage that in whatever one does, there are few stronger incentives for self-improvement than hanging around with other people who already do it better. I think I am going to make this my #2 favorite forum, next to good ol' home in Texas.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

This is great! I wish it had been named Master Gardener Volunteers Forum but that is just something only I think about. We Master Gardeners will appreciate this forum for many years to come. It will go a long ways toward tieing us all together. - Eddie in GA

• sandy0225
    19 years ago

Good to see everyone here! it's nice to have a master gardeners forum. What a wonderful program....