Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlingardener

Geneseo NY garden needed

marlingardener
16 years ago

I am in Texas, so the commute would be a killer if I were to volunteer. The Morgan Estates assisted living facility in Geneseo, NY recently lost its only flower garden--too many weeds, too few flowers. Is there a Master Gardener, a volunteer, a kind soul who would plan, plant and maintain a small flower garden at Morgan Estates in Geneseo, NY as a kindness to the people who reside there? You would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps an apartment dweller in need of a flower bed, or someone who has planted their yard and needs more space for gardening. Just contact Morgan Estates on Morgan View Road in Geneseo, NY. I have a dear friend who lives there, and I want her to see lovely flowers.

Comments (6)

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Did you find someone interested, Marlingardener? If I weren't over five hours away (at the Jersey Shore) I'd have some fun with that! How about posting on the New York Forum:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/upstateny/

It may seem a little late to plant now, but it may still be fine for container-grown plants. Otherwise, autumn is a great time to start: getting that soil tested and putting down any amendments needed, then researching and planning through the winter so that the installation phase can get into full swing in the spring.

Hmmm, how's the fall foliage up there? Any good B&B's in the area? Maybe one of them might offer a free or reduced-price stay to someone from outside the area while they work on the project? (Not suggesting this for myself ... just thought it might sweeten the deal for someone.)

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Garden stater,

Thank you for your response. No one has stepped forward yet, and I really don't think anyone will. Your suggestion about offering a "sweetener" is good, but in addition to installing the garden, it would also need regular maintenance. I guess the residents will have to do without the joy of flowers.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

If the site is right, and the plants carefully selected, a naturalized woodland garden could provide a long season of color with only minimal maintenance ... and attract butterflies and birds for the residetns to watch, as well.

That would be a great project.

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

I know this is much later than the original post, but I don't get to this forum very often. Have you considered contacting the local Boy Scouts and asking about making it an Eagle Scout project? I have a friend whose son is beginning his search for a worthy project, and this would certainly fall into that catgeory, I would think. Too bad we aren't in that area.

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rose nutty,
    Great idea! I'll try it. My only concern is that it would be a short-term project for an Eagle Scout candidate. Still, if it got started, it would give us time to find someone who might be willing to maintain the bed. Thank you so much for the idea! I had tried Master Gardeners and local garden clubs with no luck.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

An excellent suggestion by rose nutty, and I hope it works out!

Design, installation and maintenance may have just been too much for the Master Gardeners/garden clubs to handle. However, they might be willing and able to work with a scout or scout group, lending their expertise to recommend plant material for a low-maintenance garden that will provide year 'round interest. An Eagle Scout could count those volunteer hours as man-hours devoted to his project.

Out of curiosity, I just visited the Morgan Estates website and, as a 55+ community with separate condo-like apartments available, it would seem that some of their residents might well be capable of light garden maintenance. As a matter of fact, they might welcome it and benefit from it. Horticultural therapy is a field in itself and many M.G. groups seem to have hort. therapy programs.

Your persistence is admirable, marlingardener. I hope something will work out and that you'll keep us posted.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA