Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do thinik of Heuchera 'Caramel'

Posted by deshima Heat Zone 7 Richmond (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 12:20

I have heard mixed reviews about Heuchera Caramel. It is new to the US market, and I have not heard how it is doing in any given climate or the amount of sun it needs for best foliage. The only fist hand comments I have heard are negative, but the parentage is excellent so I would suppose it should be doing very well. If you have seen this plant installed for any amount of time please let me know what you think of it, and it's growing conditions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do thinik of Heuchera 'Caramel'

I bought it at a plant sale in the spring and I love it. I didn't realize when I bought it, however, that the blooms were insignificant. I thought they were similar to other heucheras. As a matter of fact, I never saw blooms on it at all, so maybe mine was too immature. Anyway, I do like the plant because I love the color.

I have it in part shade which is what they prefer, I understand.

o

Carmel is a h. villosa hybrid so it blooms in late summer and fall. Like most of the villosas carmels will grow in full sun but you will get a much better and larger foliage display in light shade.

o

UPDATE: I just received the White Flower Farm catalogue and it has this to say about 'Caramel' -

"Rarely flowers. All its energy goes into lots of superb foliage."

No wonder I never saw blooms on it. LOL It doesn't matter, I still like it.

o

WWF, better send out a fact checker or actually grow a plant before selling it to the uninformed public. LOL. That's how old wives tales get started. I just visited a large whole sale grower that grows Caramel and they were all in bud. DP and NC and the breeders website all have detailed descriptions and pictures of the plant in bloom.

Since you seem to be a little behind the curve, you may want to keep an open spot in your garden for two new villosa cultivars - Citonelle and Mocha.

o

I just saw a large pot of it for sale and noticed that the older leaves lost much of the caramel coloring and just the newer leaves were amber. Is that normal for this plant?

o

• Posted by deshima Heat Zone 7 Richmond (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 17:57

The older leaves most likly were grown when the plant was in lower light, thus the darker pigmentation.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is not Caramel:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here