Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popazza

Helpline E-mail?

PoPazza
18 years ago

I am maintaining our county's Helpline e-mail. Since I get questions from all over the world, it got me to wondering how many other e-mail Helplines are out there. It would be nice to maintain a network of contacts so we could refer questions from their locality. I say this with mixed feelings. I love getting questions from all over, but I know it would be better if they get their answers from local Master Gardeners. Save Turkey and Australia for me, though.

Comments (19)

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

I'd think twice before sending an e-mail address to this person, it sounds suspicious. If they really want Co-op. Ext.MG e-mail addresses all they have to do is look it up. Something's phishy here.

• PoPazza
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry if I sound suspicious to nmgirl. I am an MG in California. So far, I have found only one other MG Helpline email address, and it is in Denver. I get e-mail questions from all over the world because our county's email address gets googled, I suppose.

Perhaps it was not a good idea for me to ask for addresses. It did not occur to me that this would be a way for phishers to harvest addresses, although it should have. In that case, I amend my request. Doe anyone know of a Cooperative Extension (aside from University of California ones) web page that coordinates Helpline e-mail addresses? I would really rather that gentleman in Vermont who wants to raise wine grapes have a more local MG to write than the Central Coast of California.

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

Dear PoPazza,
    I'm sorry if I offended you in any way,that was not my intention.
    Many of the MG e-mail addresses in my area are listed with the coresponding Co-op Ext. website. We get phone calls from other states and always refer the callers to their local Extension offices. Have you tried that?

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

PoPazza:

I put "cooperative extension e-mail helpline" into Google and came up with 21,000 hits!

I'm sure after 1,000, the links get a little wierd but I'll bet you'll find a wealth of potential research material to start your own list (if no one else has done so).

I would think every Master Gardener office could use such a list and maybe they've all been waiting for YOU to create one.

What a project! Eravate pazzeschi chiedere.

Joe

• PoPazza
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mille grazie, Joe, I think it needs to be done. I never googled cooperative extension when I looked for the email Helplines. I tried to do each individual county or region. Plenty pazza, not too bright, eh? Then, I'll have to determine if any are defunct or unmanned (ours went unread for two years).

I'll get on it. My most recent e-mail requests were from Canada and Mexico. So, this may be a continental project. Sigh.

• Lance_baker
    18 years ago

hi Lance baker here. I have cucmbers that tast bitter,why.

• PoPazza
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lance,

Below is web page with a rather detailed explanation of why cucumbers can be bitter. As you will see, there is no one easy answer. That's why I'm referring you to this page. Good luck with future harvests. (As a disclaimer, UCCE is not responsible for the content of any web page not within its domain.) (I have to say that.)

In the future, Lance, you may want to call or e-mail your local Master Gardeners who can send you excellent literature for your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bitter cucumbers

• napapen
    18 years ago

Napa County MGs have an email helpline. We bought a computer and it is in our help desk office. Go to the UCCE extension page for California and you might be able to see which counties have email. I have never heard of questions coming from other states however. Maybe you need a disclaimer on your page stating you are limited to California.

Penny

• napapen
    18 years ago

Here is a link to our Napa county web page

http://groups.ucanr.org/mgnapa/index.cfm

Penny

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

PoPazza:

How is the project going?

Joe

• adker
    18 years ago

We have a "Ask a Master Gardener" email helpline through our Website, as well as through "The Virtual Gardener," our monthly email newsletter.

In the introduction, however, we state that it's only for questions from our counties. That has helped cut down on questions "from away."

Here's the link to the site
    http://www.cce.cornell.edu/ecgardening

Paula

• PoPazza
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, Joe, it's gradual, but I'm getting there. I was in Tacoma last week and Albany, Oregon the week before. I questioned some very nice MGs in both places, and they helped immensely. Thanks to them and everyone here, I'm am slowly compiling Helpline email addresses throughout the country. Still, apparently I am getting Googled because today I answered emails from both France and the UK. I have to admit it's great fun although I had to do considerable research for those two. When I do have addresses for a particular location, I try to refer my "clients" closer to home.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to help me.

• perenniallybroke
    18 years ago

When I recieve a question from outside my county or the adjoining counties I refer the asker to their local Cooperative Extension.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Generally I think using the telephone when dealing with local problems works much better than email. You are able to ask the caller for more information, which narrows the problem, and makes it more likely you will be able suggest a solution more appropriate. Al

• Blond_Bimbo
    18 years ago

What are your thoughts on new sprouts having seasoned mg'rs act as mentors to help them through their first year, especially with doing the diagnostic hotline calls and walk-in clients. Do you think it is useful or useless? At what point during the first year of the program do you feel the sprout is ready to wing it on their own save a little help from the agent when one gets truly stuck and can't find the answer after exhausting all available resources? Does your county have a mentor program?

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

BlondBimbo:

That's a good question. I suggest you post that as a separate question in this forum.

Joe

• downy
    16 years ago

need to find out what a flower is. It is a vine and it has purple and white flower and in the fall it get deep maroon pods. The people that have it call it humming bird vine but can not find it under that name.

• hostanana
    16 years ago

Hi Downy,
    Try looking up Hyacinth Bean or Lablab Bean.
    Those deep maroon pods and purple and white flowers sound
    as though that's what you want.
    Easy to grow, but late blooming.One of my favorites.

• corona9
    16 years ago

Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service maintains www.plantanswers.com. They receive inquiries from all over the world. Since Texas is so extensive, it has the same ecology as most regions all over the world. If you have a question, chances are this site has an answer.