Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janicesgarden_wa

Master Gardener

janicesgarden_wa
17 years ago

I have been my happiest since I had gone through the Master Gardener training, even all of the volunteering hours have been a blessing! I enjoy sharing what I have learned with other gardeners, for every plant clinic I participate in I learn something new! I am glad that at the age of 55 I have finally found my ninch in life! I guess it better then never! I hope you have found what makes you want to get up in the morning, & to see what flowers are blooming today!

After all Happy Thymes in when I am in my garden of mine.

Comments (14)

• btropical256
    17 years ago

Thats great to here and hope i get there someday. Although i am only 17 and i know that gardening was right for me since i was like 5 and i have been learning from gardeners for years. Its very unusual for someone my age to be interested and know alot about gardening. And one day would like to be a master gardener after i go to coledge for horticulture.

• blueheron
    17 years ago

That's wonderful that your're interested in gardening.If you get a degree in horticulture, you don't need to take the master gardener classes. They are for amateurs and you will be a professional. Good luck with your career plans!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

At 17 and knowing what your lifes work will be allows you to focus your efforts. You should be able to get up every morning happy to go to work as you are doing what you enjoy. Too many people hate what they do to make a living and spend their lives frustrated and unhappy. For those people it is a blessing when they get fired. Al

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

I too am 55 and have just applied to take the master gardeners course. It is a great feeling, can't wait to start.

This is my first visit to this forum and already I like what I have read.

Valerie

• drewsmaga
    17 years ago

I was a Clay Co., FL MG for almost 9 yrs when we moved to north of Houston. And I LOVED being a Clay Co. MG (our luncheons were awesome!) I learned so VERY much and was able to pass the info along to so many people! There was tremendous camaradarie, which led me to a full time job in landscaping. . . I've had to "sit it out" for almost a yr. here in TX, waiting for my Co.'s program. I go Fri. to apply. In Clay Co., FL we had to mail-in apply, do extensive paperwork including background and why I should be accepted essay, 90 min. interview, then be accepted (I was 1 of 25 who made it out of 150 applicants.) Here in Mongomery Co., TX, it seems that if you just show up for the organizational meeting, pay your $150 (it was $45 when I took it in FL. 10 yrs. ago!) and take the classes, pass the test, give 60 hrs., etc., then you're a TX MG. Different states, different standards? I'm concerned that if I complete the TX MG it won't mean as much as having been one of the selected few for the FL MG. Because I will be accepted simply for showing up, paying, taking classes, passing the test, completing hrs. How do y'all get into this in other states/ counties? Is it selective where you live?

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Our county has always had a very limited number of seats available in the classroom so the class size has been kept to about 20 each year. That seems to be enough to keep our numbers at a stable level considering those who leave for various reasons. It used to be on pretty much a first come, first admitted basis but recently there is an interview process conducted by our agricultural technician. I think both systems work since the old waiting list method made those who were not dedicated "drop out" of the list and the interview system has it's advantages, too. The surprising thing about it all is that there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two methods in the numbers of those completing the course and volunteer hours.

So don't short change the TX method and program. I'm sure you will find it is different in a lot of ways but different is not always worse (or better!) You won't know until next year this time. And even if it doesn't seem as good as the program in your home state, you will have helped a lot of people anyway.

Sandy

• ksfarmer
    17 years ago

I just attended the first class to be a MG. Here in Kansas the process of signing up for the classes is very simple. The extension office in our rural counties are very eager to have the volunteer help offered by the Master Gardener program. Kansas Extension Service subsidizes the MG program and the fees are only $75, there is no interview, only a questionare to fill out. I was astounded to find only 12 people at the first class session. This covers 5 counties in north central Kansas. (very rural). I only know of one Master Gardener in my home county. I am very much looking forward to the coming classes and working with our extension service and its 4-H program.

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

I am going to the orientation tonight I hope I pass the test and get accepted it's something I've always wanted to do. Patty

• pondgaly
    17 years ago

I was blessed to be accepted to the first ever class in my county. That was the year of 9/11. The bonds that were made by us will never be broken. You will love the program.Do it go for it and never stop being a part of the program.

• eddie1
    17 years ago

So Drewsmaga, you were a certified Master Gardener in Florida and now that you are in Texas you have to take the training all over again? If you were a doctor in Florida and moved to Texas would you have to start all over as an Intern?

• drewsmaga
    17 years ago

Yes, Eddie, I would have to take the class again BECAUSE the volunteer work you do in MG is specific to your county/region. I'm in the same USDA zone here, but it's clay soil vs sand in FL. The natives are different. The rainfall, weather patterns, humidity, etc., etc. are very different even though it's the same zone. There are some similarities in what/how to grow but also major differences. When I was in NE FL, a central FL MG had to take the course with us b/c growing conditions/plants, etc. are WAY different from Orlando to Jacksonville.

As a follow-up to my previous post, I went to the organization/info meeting for the TX MG and decided to pass on becoming one. Anybody who showed up (about 50) with check in hand was to be accepted. And then when the 60 hr. "internship" was explained, it ended up being basically slave labor to maintain demo gardens. The entire 60 hr. was regimented as to how you would "volunteer." And, since the Ext. Office is 20+ mi. away (each way, and I drive a gas-guzzling '98 P/U) between classes and required "volunteer" experiences at the demo gardens at the Ext. office, that was ending up to be a whole lotta gas money besides the course cost. In FL we were allowed to choose how to/where to fulfill our volunteer hrs. (1st yr. I was required 60 -- I did over 100.)

I'm still gonna come to this webboard and occasionally add my 2 cents because even though I'm no longer an ACTIVE FL MG, I'm still an MG. Forever. Pat

• curdog007
    17 years ago

blueheron,
    I disagree with your comments, you can't be a MGer without taking the course. The young lady said that she wanted to be a MGer.
    Apparently you are among those who have a misunderstand of the purpose of the MGer program. The program is more about giving than receiving; however, I found the more I give the more I receive.
    If education is all the lady wanted, then I would suggest that she give the program a break and not apply. There are to many taking advantage of the program and not giving back any time as they agreed to do.
    Very poor advice, especially to a minor.
    Lynn

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Lynn, I think you misunderstood blueheron's comments. The young poster (17) indicated that their passion for gardening (extremely commendable at such a young age) was leading them along a path that included a college degree in horticulture and that they hoped to become a MG after this college education.

I don't know if it is the same throughout the country but in many areas, those formally trained in horticulture are not encouraged to join the MG program and in some areas are specifically excluded from the program. This is because the program was not intended to be for professionals in the industry (which the formal education at least implies) but rather for avid hobbiests to assist those of similar ilk.

If the young gardener is truly interested in the program, then I would suggest he/she enter now before college as long as the time and means are available to complete the training and the associated volunteer hours. There is no reason not to start as a MG - it is an excellent introduction into the wonders of horticulture - and then, if still inclined, pursue the avocation further to a formal and far more complete horticultural education and all of the opportunities that implies. It works in one direction but not necessarily in the reverse.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

If you are certified as a Master Gardener in one part of the country and move to another you will need to learn the local gardening soils and temperatures expected. To be required to repeat the training already received is unreasonable. Al