Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild5

applying to take the master gardener classes

flowerchild5
19 years ago

Hello! I hope by next spring to really be able to post in this sight. I am sending in my application for the classes this week. then I have to wait for the interview. I hope I get in.any suggestions on the right things to say? I really admire you all. thank you!

Comments (14)

• dee4nebraska
    19 years ago

In my area everyone that applied to take the class was accepted. And I don't know that anyone has ever been denied. That may be different depending on the part of the country, location of the class with regard to size and seating, etc. Just relax and be yourself. I don't know what they might ask you that wasn't on the aplication. She asked me about my involvement with the 4-H program and my part time work at a nursery. This was on my application so I just repeated what I had written. For me, like I said on another post, it was very brief and informal, not at all like I expected and worried about.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

I've been a Master Gardener in three locations and 2 states. All of them are going to be different. As far as the questions at the interview, the Horticulture Agent is going to look for people with different talents, who are self starters and work well with other people without needing to always have things done their way. One nice thing about the program is that you are not expected to know everything. They will teach you how to find the answers. Remember, this is not a Garden Club. You will (or at least should) get your hands dirty. Good luck, Sandy

• gardenfaerie
    19 years ago

Interesting reading everyone's posts!

In Washtenaw County, Michigan, there are no interviews. The coordinator makes the decision based on the written application alone. Apparently our county has one of the highest rates of turning out MGs (or was that retaining them?), and there are always more applicants than can be accepted into the class. (Other counties have two classes per year... so not sure why we don't.) In any case, I've heard of quite a few people who were not accepted. I guess it really does vary based on your region. In my area, it was important (I think) to demonstrate, in the appliaction, not just one's love for gardening, but one's willingness and enthusiasm for volunteering in the community.

• little_dani
    19 years ago

I don't know of anyone being turned down. We just accept everyone.

You will also come to realize that everyone is different, and not everyone will get their hands dirty. There will always be someone who is above all that, who only does admin work, and the only time a shovel has ever come into contact with her hand is when she took them from the trunk of her car to pass them out. LOL

The thing is, anyone can do that work, some of us are just slower at it. The Gardener that everyone likes and admires is the one that
    1. is really a gardener,
    2. is not afraid to sweat,
    3. shares the burden with the rest of the gardeners,
    4. shares plants.
    This last is very important! LOL

It takes all kinds. Make friends with your class mates and enjoy! My best friends are MG's.

Janie

• flowerchild5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. if there is one thing i am not afraid of...it's getting my hands dirty. I love it. I am happiest with my hands in nice warm soil. I love to weed! it cleanses the soul. I am in Oregon. lane county. very political and liberal. I am neither of those but have no problems with those who are. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. the interviews. anyway, I am excited about it. I work in a nursary during the winter and spring and have learned so much there. I planted about 300,000 little flower plugs. plus, did other stuff. it was great. I came home with SO MANY flowers. free. loved it.
    What I loved most was the pay check that I spent on compost and beautiful perennial mix. My dh could not believe I spent money on dirt. and lattice and plants and more dirt. I have a little greenhouse and want to expand and add a pond. maybe this next year. Thanks so much everyone.
    Love your name GardenFaerie! I named my garden "faerie glen garden" along time ago. sorry for babbling

• gardenfaerie
    19 years ago

flowerchild5, one thing I learned in MG class, "we don't call it dirt, we call it soil!" Lol. I've done gardening for others so I think of my clients as having a garden faerie at work for them!

• Lady
    19 years ago

It is nice to see people say everyone who is willing is accepted, where I live if you aren't connected with the right people you aren't invited to the classes. I haven't applied because I don't think this is right.

• little_dani
    19 years ago

There are 'differences' from one group to another. Perhaps you can find another county to do your MG classes and hours in. And things change from year to year as well. Sooner or later, someone gets in that is not Jr. League, and changes a lot. I hope you find a way/place.

Janie

• napapen
    19 years ago

I'm a Master Gardener in Napa, Ca. We have a process where the individuals go to a reception to find out what the program is about and if they are willing to pay back the hours for training. We don't take everyone because big classes are harder to conduct so this year is limited to 15 and next maybe 10. However people do reapply and usually get in.

In Napa we are looking for people who speak Spanish to reach the Mexican populations, who are not afraid to speak in workshops.

In the interview I would suggest you refer to dirt as soil.
    Also bring out any public speaking you may have done and also how you have been a leader in various situations. There are tons of things to work on and it takes all kinds of talents.

Remember the program is to give us information to give to the gardening public and know where to find it.

I love the program and have been in since 1997 and just achieved lifetime status of 1000 hours.

Penny

• flowerchild5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Okay, I promise to say soil and will practice at home. The classes here are $110 and 66 hours of volunteer work. Thank goodness I took speech all thru jr hi and hi school. I also teach sunday school and a brownie troop. I've also taught a couple of womens classes. I was very nervous. I sent everyone home with a home made seeds packet. the class was called "a garden path to mentoring" planting the seeds of your life in others. any way, babbling again. thanks for all the advice! I truly appreciate it! I am going out to play in my soil now!!! Have to dead head before a trip to california tomorrow!

• blueheron
    19 years ago

With all your experience, you'll be ahead of the game. They should be delighted to have you in the program. Go for it!

In our county, they mainly were interested in people who could actually fulfill the volunteer commitment. A lot of people didn't realize the amount of volunteer hours that were a requirement for certification when they applied, so the MG coordinator tried to weed out those who would be unable to fulfill these requirements.

• andie_rathbone
    19 years ago

We have a pre-appication orientation meeting here. The year I went into the program everyone was accepted. I think it's mostly a matter of size here. About all the space & extension agent can deal wwith is 25 per class. Luckily, being in a pretty rural aarea, this isn't a big problem, but I think it may be an issue in the big cities likde Dallas, Ft. Worth & Houston.

• flowerchild5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello! I know this message is from a long time ago but I have been having major computer problems. I just wanted to say that I applied and was accepted to the MG class here in Oregon and I've already taken one class and I love it! So many people to just gab about gardening and to share their expertise. SO much knowledge! I am heading out to do my homework now. Soil testing should be fun. I really enjoy reading all your posts. You sound like some great people!

• potter
    19 years ago

I am so glad you got in a MG class and I hope you continue to love it.
    This response is to little dani (Aug 29) Please get over your prejudice towards members of the Junior League. The San Antonio League donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to local organizations for projects benefiting hundreds of citizens and local organizations. I assure you we get our hands just as dirty as Master Gardeners do....and many of us ARE Master Gardeners.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus