Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennbenn_gw

questions on master gardeners tn

jennbenn
19 years ago

I have always heard of the master gardener program and I am just wondering what does it involve? What are the benefits and what requirements do you have to have to take the classes? I am just seeking info I have always been curious, but with two kids and work-- you know the drill ... maybe one day!!! Oh, I am in Memphis, TN thanks for any info!!

Comments (9)

• SissyZeke
    19 years ago

Jenn,
    I also am in Memphis and graduat of the 2002 class of MG. To get into the classes, call the EXtension Office, and ask the lady who answers the phone.
    It costs $150., but you get 75 back if complete the course. You must perform 40 hours of volunteer service, within three catagories, and attend one class per week. I attended the Tues AM class, but they were mostly older in there, the PM class is usually a lot more animated.
    I was a server at Houstons and had to cover my shift every week, but eventually they stopped letting me off. I, too have two kids and the volunteer hours continue, if you want to be a MG after you graduate.
    Too much, right now, but I sure learned alot about the clay and why my lilacs and blue spruce kept dying! (I have since moved to crepe myrtle and juniper!)
    Sissy

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Sissy!!I appreciate the info..I hope to do this one day maybe when my 18 month old gets a little bigger!! My almost 10 yr old is a big help in the garden!! It would be great to learn so much! Thank you for the info I will tuck it away!! OH- I too have a liliac and it did great the first year then no blooms the next, and it is struggling ... guess the clay is just too much for it!!

• SissyZeke
    19 years ago

Jenn,
    Where are you from? I find it's mostly transplanted Northerners that try to grow the lilac!
    It's the heat and the lack of cold winters that kill them.
    They need to be in the shade. There is a beautiful one at the Botanic Gardens, under the pines with the picnic tables.
    I know a lot of people in the MG program, but the volunteer hours are just too much! I have a ten year old girl and a fourteen year old boy....and a husband who travels for a living-oh, and a job!!! No time for silly gardens,,,,,sigh...

• Nikkal_TN
    19 years ago

Hi Jenn
    I'm also in Memphis, had a post about the requirements here in Shelby County on the annual hours thread, but lost it in "preview"! (I hate it when that happens! LOL) Short version - I completely agree with Sissy that the volunteer hours are really hard to work around "real life". I'm also a Mom, pay the bills with a restaurant job, and own my own business, so the availability of volunteer hours on primarily evenings and weekends doesn't work for me. Sadly, I haven't recertified this year, due to these restrictions.
    The information, materials, and guest speakers in the classes are great, but the program has room for improvement.

Sissy - apparently we were in class the same year! I was part of the "animated" pm class though. LOL! I must say, we had a really good time while we were learning, and the agents said we had the best food of any class they've ever had! ;-)

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey!! thanks again for the info!! I really would love to do this, but I guess right now I just don't have time, how long do the classes run for?? I don't have too many weekends free, I am a nurse and I do work lots of weekends ughh.. Oh to one day have more time for the fun things in life!!! I know this is not in any regard to this forum, but I have to say that #1, I am from here, and #2, I could not help myself with the liliac it was a freebie from my mil, and usually everything she gives me takes off like crazy!! I am never one to turn down any free plant lol!!! I possibly need to move it to more shade, but thats another topic! Nice to meet ya'll!

• andie_rathbone
    19 years ago

i'm in Tyler, TX & a graduate of the 2003 MG program here in Smith County. Unfortunately here the classroom portion is only available in the daytime, so you pretty much need to be either not working, or have a very understanding employer as the classroom portion of the program was two afternoons/week from 1:00 until 5:00 from the beginning of January until the end of March.

The Intern year was a killer on hours. We had to do 32 hours on the phone (my least favorite task), 20 hours divided between two gardens that we maintain in the Tyler Rose garden & then 20 more hours of miscellaneous projects.

Once we're certified we only need 12 volunteer hours/yeaar & 12 CE's to keep our certification.And our cot was only $75.00

• relam
    19 years ago

I'm in Tipton County, TN. Our class starts in January - I think this is only the second class for Tipton county. I'm so excited. Cost is $100 - but we don't get any back for finishing. Actually, I'm kinda glad it's in the winter - that way it won't cut into my actual gardening/ponding time!

• the_dirty_hoe
    19 years ago

volunteering is really no big deal. you can always volunteer at the Community garden and bring along your kids to help weed, etc...

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey!! I started this awhile back and am just still wanting to take this class!! Anyone in Memphis starting in Jan? Just wondering!