Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need MG's expertise

Posted by Fleur z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 14:47

I'm the hort chairman for our county fair. One class of flowers to be exhibited include the following lots:
1. One bloom
2. One spike
3. One spray
4. One stem

The one bloom and one spike examples are easy to find...ie. rose, dahlia for bloom; delphinium, glads for spike. I'd like your opinions on examples for the "spray" and "stem" catagories. Do your MG books have a definition for either of them, Is it the configuration of the secondary stems like only one bloom at the end versus multi blooms as fall asters? I'd be grateful for the information. (Maybe we need to change things next year.) Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need MG's expertise

We don't coer flower shows in our MG classes, but a good resource would be your yourstate garden club organization. They publiash a handbook that governs all flower shows with judging criteria. They are also a good resource for judges. It's pretty amazing what the criteria is.

BTW, have you considered doing a design section? I think tht's the best part of flower shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Council of State Grden Clubs

o
RE: Need MG's expertise

We do have a Design Section and that causes no problem. A flower show judge and multi ribbon winner helps with that (thank heavens).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here