Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herbsy

Help for a Master Gardener Xmas Party

Herbsy
19 years ago

Hi Fellow MG's

Does anyone have any good ideas for a Master Gardener Xmas Party? I know its awhile away but if time goes as fast as it did this summer it will be here in no time. I am trying to come up with some games or ideas etc that MG's would find to be fun.Any ideas appreciated. Thanks .

Comments (10)

• napapen
    19 years ago

One year when I first joined we were a smaller group. We had a xmas potluck and everyone was to bring a garden related gift to exchange. I brought a big bag of worm compost!

Penny

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    19 years ago

Maybe I am anti social, but if you belong to many groups Christmas parties soon become invasive. My good wife flatly refuses any "potlucks". Al

• watergal
    19 years ago

One of the many gardening mags I get had an article a while back about hosting a "garden party". They suggested using new clean flowerpots and planters for serving bowls, new clean trowels for spoons, etc. Not sure if I like that idea or not...

Winter is so tough for us devoted gardeners. Maybe you could do some tropical flower things? Party stores have lots of hibiscus related stuff these days - very popular.

How about a "guess the plant" contest? Several photos on the wall and people have to write down what they are. Bonus for latin names!

• gardener_sandy
    19 years ago

Have you checked out the Winter Sowing forum here? A party around that theme would be fun and would introduce a lot more people to the concept. I was skeptical at first but tried it this past winter and it really does work.

• Herbsy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for some great ideas-good ones. Calistoga- I know you'd like our Xmas parties. We all enjoy just getting together- we really do like each other . We always just sort of eat- (finger foods)- and leave but I was trying to come up with something a bit different- you have given me some ideas to work with .I also was thinking of a gardening quiz just for fun and a few inexpensive prizes. Thanks a bunch and if you have anymore please add them. I will be checking out the winter sowing. Thanks again

• napapen
    19 years ago

This coming Sunday we are having a harvest party which has taken the place of the Xmas Party. Last year it was at Calistoga's home. We try to share the produce of the season and this year our field test was eggplant so I call it the "eggplant pigout" Spouses and S.Os are invited and it is a good way to get to know others. There are usually awards given to people for their contribution to our group.
    We are having a silent auction this year to raise money for a 3rd printing of our tree book. oh yes wine - we do have wine. Napa Valley you know!

Penny

• buckhill
    19 years ago

One activity that I've done with our MG group is Master Gardener Bingo. Make a sheet with 25 squares (or make it smaller if you have asmaller group) with some garden activity in each square. For example: Find someone who has volunteered with the community garden; find someone with a water garden; find someone who was trained in the first class; etc. Then people must mingle and find people to sign each square if they have done that activity. When everyone has their sheet completed, call out people's name and if you have that name on your sheet, you can cover that square. First one with 5 in a row wins! We kept calling names until everyone won a prize or all the prizes were gone. I went to Jung's and found really neat garden Christmas ornaments. It's a great way for new members to get acquainted with the rest of the group.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

That is when we have our annual awards dinner. By the time we greet friends, eat, have the awards and listen to the speaker we have had a wonderful evening that breaks up the winter doldrums quite nicely. Sandy

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Herbsy, Looking for a fun quiz? Try mine at the link below and click on "Contests"

Here is a link that might be useful: Contest

• Herbsy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again- Eddie that is a great quiz and perfect for a garden group.you have a great website! And Sleepless , thanks as well. May I ask what kind of awards you give out? This is something we've not done and it sounds like a neat idea.
    Herbsy