Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_b

Leaf Analysis

Ron_B
18 years ago

Is this as accessible and economical for homeowners as soil analysis? Or are Master Gardeners not working with this method much?

Comments (13)

• gardener_sandy
    18 years ago

Ron, I'm not familiar with this technique. Would you explain it a little? Needless to say, our MG group doesn't use it.

• weebus
    18 years ago

Ron, your just talking about foliar analysis, right?

• Ron_B
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes: you check nutrient content by sampling and testing the foliage instead of the soil. It's more to the point.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I don't know of any Master Gardener use of this analysis. The commercial grower who has acres of the same crop which is the source of his income does use this. Al

• Ron_B
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's what I suspected, despite foliage analysis being superior soil analysis is still the only one used much in helping general public.

• weebus
    18 years ago

I think both foliar analysis and soil analysis are important. Just becuase you are deficient in a nutrient in the foliage, it doesn't mean your soil is deficient in the same nutrient. The only way to tell the nutrients of the soil is a soil analysis, and vice versa.

• just_curious
    18 years ago

I do tissue analysis every year and find it extremely helpful. Soil every second year.

• phil_damewood
    18 years ago

In the Sacramento area you can get a leaf analysis for under $50. It can tell you more than a soil test. They give you the information on how to gather the leaf samples. I would only suggest a leaf analysis if all else fails in diagnosing a problem.

• weebus
    18 years ago

What if your foliar analysis shows a phosphate deficiency? Are you going to amend the soil with phosphorus? That may be a big mistake my friend. You could be too high or too low oh your PH, you could have too much magnesium and magnesium is a bully pushing out the phosphorus and making it look like a deficiency when it could be a toxicty of magnesium... Could be a number of things that can only be diagnosed with a soil sample. You have many tools in your tool box for a reason...

• gardener_sandy
    18 years ago

If I understand correctly, the first step is a good (SA) soil analysis. Then if there's some specific plant having problems, a (LA) leaf analysis is a good idea as a follow up. I see the LA as a tool for the more serious growers while the SA is the best recommendation for the average homeowner who just wants a nice lawn and borders. Since probably 98% of the questions we get at our extension office are from homeowners, SA is the most common recommendation but LA is great for nurseries and farmers and others whose income depends on their crops. Do I have it about right? I need to find out where we can have LA done in VA.

• just_curious
    18 years ago

In British Columbia, tissue samples cost about $60 Cdn. I get them done by an independent lab at the end of the growing season.
    This doesn't help with the current year but is a good guide for next year especially with perennial plants.
    If I were a home gardener, which I am not, this is one test I would skip. There is just too much information that can be misinterpreted.

• weebus
    18 years ago

Sandy you are correct.

• just_curious
    18 years ago

Ron, do you do tissue tests?

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor