Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blond_bimbo

MG Mentors for New Sprouts - Good Idea or Bad?

Blond_Bimbo
18 years ago

Does your master gardener group use mentors to help teach the ropes to the new mg sprouts? If so, what was the reaction of the sprouts to the mentor program? Do you have an initial orientation program for the new sprouts to make them feel welcomed to the group and properly introduce them to the rest of the group? Were the mentors for the sprouts a part of this orientation process or to the introduction of the sprouts? Did anyone ever have a mentoring program disaster with the new sprouts?

Comments (6)

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Before I reply, are you referring to the Master Gardener Interns as "sprouts"? You're not talking about Junior Master Gardeners (of which there is a program) are you?

• gardener_sandy
    18 years ago

Eddie, I suspect Blonde is referring to new MG interns. In our county we call them Seedlings. Gotta have something cute!

Our county started the mentor program a few years ago and it has been a success so far. We had always paired new MGs with an experienced MG for their first few tasks but it wasn't formally called mentoring till recently. Even now it has been a little casual (a few phone calls and cards to the seedling) till next year when a new policy goes into effect. It will be much more structured then and should be even better.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Didn't know about the seedling and sprout nomenclature. We have mentors too and I have been one twice. I invited the first intern out for breakfast and we had a relaxed conversation about the Master Gardener program that I have been in from the beginning (1980) . I am an old but active Master Gardener. Some people do not like to use the term "old" for fear of offending someone so they have come up with yet another cutsey term "Seasoned Master Gardener." (Sounds like something to eat). My second mentoring was a husband and wife couple who invited me to their house. They were nice, down to earth people and they got a lot of satisfaction from showing me their mansion - talk about money. I would have to hit the lottery to afford something like that. Haven't seen them since but maybe I will when they finish their classes and start attending our monthly meetings. My first Intern went on to be employed by the Extension Service so I am proud of her.

• napapen
    18 years ago

Napa County uses mentors too. It works well because it helps the Seasoned MG refresh things and also mixes up the groups so they don't just stay with their class. We call them interns but sprouts and seedlings are cute. So we would be mature plants I guess.

Penny

• ladebug
    18 years ago

I am glad to hear other MGV groups are implementing a mentor program. I have been working on expanding our program the last few years. I believe to continue seeing growth and retention a need for finding a way to connect as soon as possible is the key. I have had no problem getting people to mentor but getting them to understand what this means with follow up has been difficult. We have a luncheon during one of the new classes and the mentor is introduced to the new sprout. Naturally, some connect and some do not however, my feeling is if each new student can have a few friendly faces at there next volunteer function they are more likely to "feel" part of the community by connecting.
    I am happy to answer or share any ideas on this subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forsyth County MGV's

• stbgardener
    18 years ago

We ask certified master gardeners to help the current interns, particularly in the office, getting comfortable with handling questions and samples, and the office routine, but we don't specifically pair people up. The mentoring hours can apply towards Advanced Master Gardener status, as well.

Sarah

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner