Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetick_gw

Permaculture

TheTick
18 years ago

I love chatting with fellow Master Gardeners. We all seem to have an insatiable desire to learn about horticulture and pass on tidbits of "green wisdom" to anyone who is patient enough to listen. I recently attended an intensive two-week Permaculture Design certification course and learned lots of tidbits that I would like to share.

Problems and Opportunities

We are all aware that our environment is worsening each year. In their youths our parents or grandparents drank at streams from which we and our children now cannot drink. The air is more polluted and estimates of topsoil losses continue to grow. The recent Arctic Climate Impact Assessment paints a sobering picture of the little time we have left to lessen the upcoming damage to our world.

These environmental issues prompted me to research more ecological ways of performing horticulture. I felt my involvement with the community as a Master Gardener gave me a tremendous opportunity to help improve our countys air quality, water quality, soil fertility, and lawn safety. The research led me to Permaculture  a set of principles for designing ecologically sustainable gardens, homesteads, farms, and communities.

About Permaculture

Permaculture is a contraction of "permanent agriculture" and was established in the early seventies as a model for sustainable living. As Master Gardeners, we already practice many of PermacultureÂs basic elements; e.g. succession, companion planting, and soil building. Permaculture extends our understanding by exploring relationships between these elements and integrating them to create vigorous, thriving ecosystems that benefit people, wildlife, and our entire community.

We have all designed gardens that just didnÂt pan out and needed to be reworked the following season. Nature is an extraordinary designer and since the first plant life appeared on Earth, nature has been relentlessly working to improve her design. By modeling our landscapes after natureÂs design we take advantage of that exhaustive research.

The Permaculture principles are fascinating and I applied many of them this spring when converting my entire backyard into an heirloom vegetable and herb garden. Due to a thick straw sheet mulch I have had to do little watering (even through the summer drought) or weeding (no herbicides were used). Insects were not a problem because of plant selections and placement (no pesticides were used). Soil fertility has been improved by using nitrogen-fixing white clover, beans, and peas and by growing and slashing borage, an excellent biomass plant. Currently my garden looks like a lush green jungle! Next spring I will explore water catchment through rain barrels, small ponds, and biological gray water systems. I also plan to remove arsenic from the ground underneath my pressure-treated fence using mushroom bioremediation. Nature seems to have come up with solutions to every horticulture problem in existence and Permaculture packages those solutions into a comprehensive framework.

Learning More

I will apply these principles to my own backyard and to our community gardens, but I feel the learning has just begun. Through informal workshops and presentations I plan to extend what I have learned and pass it on to interested Master Gardeners and community members.

Resources

GaiaÂs Garden, by Toby Hemenway

Arguably the best book about gardening using Permaculture is principles. It is available at the Iowa City public library.

http://www.PatternLiteracy.com

This is Toby HemenwayÂs website which has excellent Permaculture articles and resources.

http://www.Permaculture.net/resource_list

This page contains a long list of Permaculture Internet resources.

Comments (4)

• blueheron
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for the references. I am an organic gardener, too. I read an article about Permaculture and was fascinated by how everything is interrelated and how well it works. To think we don't need all those 'cides we use in our gardens!

Just curious about your vegetable garden - how did you repel insects like squash vine borer?

• mdgardengurl
    18 years ago

I would like to use some natural methods of fighting some destructive insects in my garden. The first is the Colorado Potato Beetle - they ate 2 potato crops of mine this year. I'd say, next in line, are the Japanese Beetle - they eat everything, it seems. Are there any plants I can combine with my potatoes to keep away the CPB? Anything I can do to deter the JB from my gardens? I take any found egg cases and beneficial insects (Praying Mantis and Ladybugs) and put them in my gardens, but what else to do? Thanks so much in advance for any assistance here!

• TheTick
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Garden pests seem to be a real pain at times. But the critters are usually telling us something important about the health of our garden.

I don't have any direct experience with the squash vine borer or Japanese beetle. I have Colorado potato beetles in my garden, but they have not been a problem. A direct way to handle all of them would be the application of beneficial nematodes. A good article about nematodes is here: http://www.mastergardeners.org/publications/nematodes/beneficial_nematodes.html

Increasingly my focus has been to avoid directly handling a single problem "pest" because it usually indicative of some larger issue. A common Permaculture saying is "the problem is the solution". Thus the "pest" helps us determine the solution to that issue - eradicating that indicator can eliminate the help.

Read all you can about the critter to understand its lifecycle and habits. Spend lots of time sitting and examining your garden from a holistic standpoint - it is a small, but very complex ecosystem. Are other plants struggling? Is the problem localized to a single area? This will help formulate a comprehensive story about what is going on.

In my garden I interject as much complexity as possible in an attempt to emulate natures complexity and indirectly prevent problems. I plant two or more varieties of the same vegetable if one fails, the other may not. I disperse the same vegetable throughout the garden if a critter finds one plant the other ones wont be right under its nose. I interplant with many herbs, flowers, and biomass plants (like borage) - this confuses "bad" critters and invites every bug and bird in the neighborhood to stop by. I cover all bare ground with white clover, creeping thyme, oregano, lemon balm, or chamomile - nature abhors bare ground and the ground cover gives visiting critters a place to stay, keeps unwanted plants (a.k.a. weeds) at bay, enhances the soil, and makes walking through the garden a sensory delight. I never till - tilling disperses unwanted plant (weed) seeds and destroys soil structure and health. I keep my soil healthy - I disperse compost, slashed plants, and straw across the garden to invite worms and bugs to till for me and enhance soil vitality (we dont grow plants, we grow soil - soil grows plants).

I hope this did not sound like a non-answer, but it is about the best answer I can provide. Todays agricultural methods seem to fixate on addressing a single problem without examining the complex relationships between everything. Without another paradigm to follow we can inadvertently bring that mindset into our own backyard. As the price of pesticides and herbicides rise with the price of dwindling petroleum and natural gas supplies, we will see the needed shift toward understanding natures complexity and working within her framework rather than trying to define our own.

• dabprop
    18 years ago

I'd love to find a Permaculture course online.Anyone know of any?
    Some of the early books on Permaculture are very expensive too.I've found some cheaper ones on Ebay.

J

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting