Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandevilla Plant

Posted by billjr z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 04 at 11:36

Hi,
I have a Mandevilla plant that is in a container on my deck here in Connecticut. I know it won't survive the winter outdoors, and have already brought it in the house and placed it in a bright area new a window. Can I keep it growing inside until next year, or will it still die off ? If it is possible to keep it growing inside, what special attention will it need ?

Thank You, Marge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandevilla Plant

Well, I since my mandevilla plant stays outdoors all year, except during a very unusual cold spell, I know little about overwintering them in the house.

However, I did find the following website for you that might answer some of your questions: Mandevilla

o

• Posted by judy_38 Dewey, az 86327 (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 5, 04 at 19:32

Grew an mandevilla in Ma for about 10 years bringing it in in the winter, always did well. Love them, but haven't been able to find one here in AZ. Ordered one by mail but was sick when it arrived. Will a healty one make it in the dry climate, and if so is there a "good mail order source" Thanks in advance.

o

• Posted by clfo z7 with luck (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 12, 04 at 20:27

billjr,
Keep your mandevilla in a bright location and water when dry. It will go through a "vining phase" and put out some long stringy growth. It may also drop leaves. Just let it do what it will do, and don't fertilize. In late-February or early March, cut the plant back by one third to one half, and begin fertilizing.

In a northern climate, the worst thing about overwintering a mandevilla is that they don't come into bloom as quickly. If you put it outside when all frost danger is past, the plant will start blooming sometime in July or even August. You can buy a Mandevilla in bloom in May in the northeast.... your plant may be larger than what you could buy, but it will bloom later.

o

Mandevilla amabilis 'Alice Dupont'. This plant was removed from the ground in October before a killing frost, and put in an eighteen inch pot, and stored in the basement. It was kept relatively dry until full watering was started in February. It was put in my small greenhouse in late March and thrived, and bloomed. It was put in the ground outside in full sun 25 May 2006. Last year the plant was never without flowers until the season ended. I have a white one but it is not blooming as yet, but is thriving. I notice the new shoots come from old growth not from under the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: URL to three pictures 25 May 2006

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here