Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yomamanem

Habitat House Landscape

yomamanem
19 years ago

I just came home from working on the landscape for a habitat house. Our MG organization purchased the plants and several of us provided the labor. I have always wanted to work on a habitat project and this was a great opportunity to do a job that I know how to do. Anyway, a few people did a lot of work and finished the job in just 3 1/2 hours. I would recommend this type of project for other MG organizations. Because the owner seemed to have little knowledge of gardening, we tried to make it as "low maintenance" as possible. I hope that pride in her yard encourages her to try gardening.

Comments (10)

• gardenfaerie
    19 years ago

Interesting. A friend of mine is really involved with Habitat's "Women Build," but as far as I know, they don't do landscaping beyond a lawn, bushes, and maybe a few bulbs. I'm surprised it never occurred to me to offer our MG services to these projects!

• Chris_MI
    19 years ago

please try to visit this new home 3 times over the year for the next 2 years. you can take a flat of annuals or some tomatoes and teach the homeowner how to grow them. With a visit in the spring, the summer to tell them the difference between weeds and plants, and fall to help clean up the yard, they will not feel abandoned and will learn alot. B sure to mulch the area to help with the weeds.

• little_dani
    19 years ago

I agree with what Chris MI said. A lot of these people don't have any idea about growing things. We did the habitat project a couple of years ago. Most of the yards look nice still.

Janie

• wandaredhead
    19 years ago

The MGs do the Habitat Houses here, also.

• msmud
    19 years ago

Your user name really caught my attention, then I saw that you garden in GA. You 'gotta' be from the South to appreciate it!
    Our MG group volunteers at Hospice as one of our projects. Have not tried Habitat homes yet.

• janet_la
    19 years ago

Landscaping Habitat houses is an ongoing project for our MGs also.

• Daisy7
    19 years ago

We did a Habitat House also.

For a young, single, able bodied father and his child.

Not only would he not help with the planting, he tried to use us for a yard care service from then on.

Even though I *tried* not to be judgemental, it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

How sad that there is always a certain percentage that will try to take advantage of programs like Habitat. I guess the only choice we have other than eliminating participation is to keep explaining til it gets through. Even on the hotline, I have had people try to insist we should correct the mistakes they made at our time and expense because we we a "community service". On the other hand we have had several Habitat beneficiaries ask to join us on workdays so they could learn to take care of their new yards while they help us with ours. Maybe it evens out. Sandy

• ShadyGrove5
    19 years ago

The company that I work for is building a Habitat house as a community service project. I was asked to lead the landscaping crew because I am a MG and to train my own volunteer crew from other employees. This is not a MG project but it does fit the spirit of MG. Don't overlook the opportunities to influence others. I have agreed to consult with other Habitat crews and to suggest volunteer leaders for the individual houses because they want to keep each project limited to one group and not multiple volunteer agencies.

• Summer
    19 years ago

The MGs in my area also landscape a Habitat house. I'm looking forward to being a part of the team, for the first time, this year.

Summer

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner