Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie_ga_7a

Demo Garden

eddie_ga_7a
19 years ago

The Cobb County Master Gardener Volunteers have had a Demonstration Garden for quite some time - probably between 15 and 20 years. We use Parks Department property and have a contract with them. A plan was drawn up and the area was drawn into sections which would become theme gardens. As near as I can remember the original Themes were Herbs, MG Favorites, Turf, Square Foot, Childrens, and Vegetable. Over time we have changed some of the gardens and have had Oriental, Water, Composting, Grandmas, Pass Along, Grasses, Shade, and Orchard. We usually give four or five programs a year where the public is invited to come and participate for free in demonstrations on Pruning, Hypertoufa, Plant Propagation, Roses and much more of the like. We provide cold water and free plants or seeds to our visitors. We were the first in our state to have a Demo Garden and it was the jewel in our crown. People came from all over to see how we did it. As a project it was the one that brought us all together. If we had it to do over we would have made the paths wider and placed the theme gardens farther apart. It also took many years for us to finally provide ample seating and shade for both the public and the Master Gardeners. We are now looking for a bigger location where it could be open and accessible to the public for more hours of the day and I hope we name it the Cobb Botanical Garden. I've only been a Master Gardener Volunteer for 25 years so I have much to learn.

Comments (3)