Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet potato vine question

Posted by juantia tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 14:13

I bought a green sweet potato vine this summer as an accent plant. I am getting ready for winter so I am cleaning out my pots. While cleaning up this vine I found a "red" potato that is larger than my hand. I dont know if I should save it . Will I be able to root it to grow a vine? I didnt know were to ask for help. Can a Master Gardener out there help me? Thanks Juantia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet potato vine question

You should be able to start new plants from the root. Just put it in a container and submerge the lower part in water. When you have new starts growing on it with roots started, just break them off and root to start a new plant. Ornamental sweet potatoes can be handled just like the food varietys,but, they usually aren't as good to eat.

o

Thank you so much. I can't belive that I found this "huge" potato. I'll try to root it.

o

You also can save it at room temperature over the winter and bury it in soil next spring. It should put up several vines that you can then tip and root.

o

Agree with merrygardens-------thats what I did last year with mine---infact, they were in a pot on top of the dryer all winter, and grew better than the ones I bought this past spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here