Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie_ga_7a

Master Gardeners Plus Writers?

eddie_ga_7a
19 years ago

How many out there are M/Gs and garden writers or editors? Also, how many are members of the Garden Writer's Association? What publications do you write for? Do you or do you not accept pay?

Here is a link that might be useful: BittersweetGardens

Comments (8)

• napapen
    19 years ago

Napa County has one professional writer - Janet Fletcher who writes for the SF paper, magazines and publishes cook books. She is also editor of all the articles we put in the local newspapers. There are a number of us in Napa who write articles on a variety of subjects for the paper.

We have also published a tree book written about the trees in our county by Master Gardener John Hoffman. It is going to press for the 3rd time.

Penny

• luvmyducks
    19 years ago

I write a weekly column for the local newspaper. Since they pay me, I don't count the time as volunteer hours.

• gardenfaerie
    19 years ago

I've been working as a writer and editor for (gulp) 19 years, but not in the gardening field. I have published articles in our MG publication, for which I get MG credit because I'm not paid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening for Cats article (takes a bit to load)

• backyarder1
    19 years ago

I have been a freelance writer for....well, I started back in my hippie days when I thought I could save the world by writing and convincing people to love one another and protect the planet. Now I primarilly just write to tell them to protect the planet, but I disguise it as gardening articles. I write for several local newspapers and magazines.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    19 years ago

I am not a writer, yet I write an article monthly for two Master Gardener newsletters. My goal is to solve gardening problems and to expand the range of plants we grow. Al

• tharrisinboerne
    19 years ago

I've been an MG for 10 years and have written many articles for local newsletters, etc. I now write a weekly gardening column for 2 small-town newspapers...been doing it for three years. The column is based primarily on what I do in the way of gardening in our locale because it applies to the area in general; i.e., south Texas gardening is unique just like your area is unique.

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

I got into writing via the MG program. As president I was required to write the blurb at the front of the monthly newsletter. The new editor of the newsletter sent me an email telling me to look at some garden mags and see what the editors said - it was not a Thank you A, thank you B list of things (which is what I was doing). So I did a visual 'walk around the garden' in January - covered in snow. Everyone liked it. I learnt about deadlines and the wrath of editors who didn't get 'stuff' ontime too. Combine that with writing for the local press to advertise the annual MG show and promos for guest speakers etc and it went on from there.
    And yes, I am a member of GWA and freelance for a few 'paying' newspapers.

• yomamanem
    19 years ago

I do a four page newsletter each month and I do occasional articles for the local newspaper. Several of our MG's write for the Tuesday "Farm and Garden" section of the newspaper. The paper seems to appreciate our contributions. Many of our members are very good writers.