Return to the Master Gardeners Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tapicoa Plant

Posted by Raine39 z9FL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 04 at 19:14

Does anyone know anything about a plant called "Tapicoa Plant"? I just purchased two at Lowe's at a discount price. There were no information tags with them. The plants are very pretty and I would like to know how to take proper care of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tapicoa Plant

This is a good site that should tell you everything you want to know about the Tapioca Plant: Manihot esculenta Family: Euphorbiaceae (spurge family) Common Names: cassava, manihot, manicot, yuca and the following is from this website: by Jack Sheper

The most unusual and the most exciting plant that I scored from Steve on this visit was a cassava (Manihot esculenta), a tropical plant from whose tubers tapioca is made. I got one from him several years ago and grew into a huge exotic looking plant with big bluish leaves. Since cassava is killed back to the ground when it freezes here, I overwintered some 18 in (45.7 cm) long pieces of stem under a bale of straw. Come spring the stems are planted with a few inches poking from the ground. In a week or two they sprout and grow rapidly from there. Unfortunately the stems must be flavorful and delicious because the puppies quickly found them, pushed the bale away and chewed them up causing me to be cassava-less until now. This fall I'm going to pot up some stems and keep them protected from frost - and from puppies.

However, I also read the following:
WARNING
All parts of the cassava plant are poisonous and must be processed by peeling, pressing or cooking before eating. It is reported that the Caribbean Arawak Indians committed suicide be eating raw cassava rather than face slavery under the Spanish invaders.

So I don't know about how the puppies could live if it is that poisonous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Master Gardeners Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here