Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_sandy

Class of 2006

gardener_sandy
17 years ago

Our MG group just graduated 19 new Master Gardeners. That's everyone that started the class last winter. The new MGs volunteered over 1,100 hours of service and helped nearly 1500 clients this year. We're very proud of them for all the hard work they have done and look forward to working with them in the future.

So how did your newbies turn out this year? Are there any changes in the works for next year's classes?

Comments (4)

• raspberryflyer
    17 years ago

We are a rural county in West Tennessee, and our program is only one year old. In 2005, we graduated 10 interns -- most who stuck with the program to become official Master Gardeners just this month. However, we picked up a few Master Gardeners who lived in our county but got their original credentials in a nearby county before our county established the program, so we have more like about 12 or so full Master Gardeners now.

Meantime, the 2006 class graduated 12 interns.

In our first year, our MG intern class logged over 500 volunteer hours -- pretty good considering we are a rural county where opportunities to serve are limited, and the program is in its infancy.

• otomato-o
    17 years ago

I'm signed up to start the Master Gardening program this month in illinois..am a bit nervous as i hear it is a difficult..is that true?

ruth

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Hi Ruth...you'll love the classes! I'm graduating in a few weeks from the program, and I easily put in a little over 150 volunteer hours this first year.
    Concerning the classes...there were different levels of people in my class, some very interested, some not knowing why they were there. I think we had about 1/4 of the class disappear and not finish. The ones who did not finish were most likely in love with the thought of being a master gardener, but didn't seem to apply what was being taught in the classroom or put in their required hours.
    The classes were top notch, fast-paced, and quite interesting. There is a lot of handout material. Keep it organized for yourself in folders under topics. Personally, I took notes and went over them, plus I read the handouts, and read in advance of classes out of the MG manual because gardening is in my blood and this program is everything I've always wanted to do. The class content is college level but the instructors do a good job of relaying the info and concepts, at least they should. Keep an open mind and don't think it is too difficult for you. Start off on a good foot by really reading and thinking about what you've been presented. If you don't understand something, ask questions then and there because you will have a different topic and instructor usually on your next class. Remember, MGs do not know all of the material but know where and how to find resources. You are not expected to be a walking encyclopedia.
    The only really challenging part of the classes was the required demonstration, as you were on your own to put together a class demonstration. I used a powerpoint introduction, then a demo in making a seed tape utilizing recycling. You have to prepare a handout, be within your time frame, and include various required information. In other words, practice at home, use various media to keep the attention up, make a handout under your MG guidelines, and ask for guidance. Most of my classmates did a decent job but some were terrible and poorly prepared. Counties have different projects, so you may not even have a required demonstration. I was nervous, too, when I first started classes but I quickly got over it once I was there. You'll find at the end that the class is where you've always belonged if you believe in yourself and approach each class prepared and ready to make a difference. Good luck :)

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    17 years ago

Our class of 15 people will be "graduating" on Monday night. We are looking forward to our new official badges and not wearing one that says "trainee". Most are putting in a lot of hours and one lady has been fighting breast cancer and still chairs a committee. I found training to be easy and enjoyable. My challenges are public speaking-I used to do it with my work long ago and got out of practice. But I want to feel comfortable again and have gotten some great opportunities. I was even on the news last summer interviewed at our booth at the county fair. Boy did my heart pound but I pulled it off! This volunteer job is a wonderful learning experience and the people are becoming my friends. I am grateful!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus