Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fable_gw

NY, LI Suffolk Co. MG a few questions

fable
18 years ago

I am interested in knowing about your MG program. How many hours did you give back, and were you told where you were to volunteer? After giving back your hours were you offered continuing education? How do you learn of volunteer work? Do you have any social get-to-gethers? Anything that you think will be helpful would be appreciated. Thanks, Lynne

Comments (4)

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

Check the "Continuing Education" postings, you'll find a lot of answers.

• kimzuki
    18 years ago

I just certified with 100 hrs of volunteer time. Our group does information booths at home and garden show, Farmers market, and 2 county Fairs. We also have a Zeric garden and are preparing ground on a demo/learning garden. We fund raise and do diagnosis as well as present classes at the community college. With the number of activities we have, its pretty easy to find an area that peaks ones interests and fill in volunteer hours. A group of us tries to make each event a social gathering and we try to have as much fun as possible. Pulling weeds can be fun if you have the right mind set.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

The 2 counties both offer their own MG programs. Nassau's is every other year from Sept. to Dec. The current class of 05 has just finished and people interested in the next class for 2007 are put on a waiting list to get further info as the time approaches. Contact Cornell Cooperative Extension of Nassau County and speak to Bonnie Klein for more info. Suffolk County's program runs from January to May (?) Not too sure when it ends as I did not take the course with Suffolk County.
    Payback hours are 150 hours in Nassau and I believe it is less or the same in Suffolk. There are numerous committees that you can join after you become a MG in Nassau. We have a Beautification committee that keeps the area where the office is located neat and pretty. Herb and Rose Gardens are demonstration gardens and are open to the public for view at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow year round. All America Selections committee evaluates new annuals and vegetables from seed companies for the homeowner to eventually see for sale in their local nurseries. It is expected that 25 of these payback hours be done answering horticulture questions from the public on the County's garden hotline number in the AM from 10-12:30 M-Th.Opportunities exist to lecture on various topics to the public at either senior citizen centers or libraries or schools/churches. Opportunities exist to volunteer at the diagnostic counter at Hicks Nursery during their March Flower Show also. And yes, we have semi annual lunches/dinners to award people their payback hours certificates when they have reached various levels. A pin is given to those who have 500 hours or more in payback hours. Its a great way to meet people who share a love of gardening and a willingness to teach the public.

• bobbill
    18 years ago

Hi,

Suffolk County master gardeners have their own website at www.limg.org

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Master Gardeners