Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennessee7_gw

MG Program on the net?

Tennessee7
19 years ago

I noticed that several posts have been about night and weekend classes. Our County is traditional about having classes during week days. They have not shown any interest in adapting, so my question is, what is a frustrated MG want-to-be supposed to do? Is there such a thing as Web based programs? Is there a central headquarters for MG that can be approached about this, or are we at the mercy of our couty agent?

Comments (6)

• luvmydaisies
    19 years ago

I am in MN and I will be taking the master gardener program online, due to work conflict. I know that I will get all the books and materials just like everyone else and I will have to do my studies online.

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Usually the county agent approves your application and they are looking for volunteers who can man the phones and field calls during the day. If you are not available for day classes, they figure you won't be available for phone duty. That may not be the case everywhere. I have known of people taking classes several counties away and some being the only Master Gardener in their county.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

Eddie, I never quite thought of it that way but that is probably more true in areas where there are not very many applications and the classes not done often and why some places the membership seems to be heavy on older or retired members. Our membership is so large that the agent can afford to accept people who have other talents. I would be interested in hearing more about on line classes. Sandy

• Tennessee7
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your feedback folks. Luvmydaisies, I contacted your MG program to see if they would consider someone from out-of-state. I travel to MN a few times a year and might be able to "serve my time" in that fashion, but I also asked if it could transfer to my local MG program? I don't mind paying more for out-of-state. I just want to get certified.

• Tennessee7
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Another follow up on my quest. It is possible to sign on as an out-of-state MG, but I must check with my state to see if they accept it. Costs $450

Merry Christmas folks and to those who do not celebrate Christmas, Happy Holidays!

• royross
    19 years ago

Steve: I don't know where in Tennessee you live, but we have MG classes in the evening here in Lawrence County, and we frequently have people from surrounding counties where they aren't hosting classes. Classes start in Feb and are held from 6 PM to about 9 PM pn Mondays and Thursdays. I think the cost is $75 and you're automatically invited to our monthly meetings for the year. I can get you more specific info or you can call our Ext'n Office 931-762-5506. They're off this week, but will be back Jan 3. Roy Ross

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH