Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The secret of growing sweet peas (flowers)

Posted by Mainiac 5b Maine (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 05 at 6:48

I have tried everything! But I can't get these to grow. It maybe a woodchuck that eats them but I never have any luck. Suggestions, please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The secret of growing sweet peas (flowers)

I grow 'Old Spice' every year, started out with a pkt. and have saved seeds ever since.

They like rich soil (unlike edible peas)so I make sure their site has had some compost or aged manure the previous fall.

I plant them about two weeks after I plant edible peas, which would be sometime in April--mid to late Apr. If it is cold, they take longer to germinate and start growing. Overall they grow pretty slow until things warm up. I usually soak the seed overnight before planting.

They really take off by June and start flowering then or in July. They don't like the hot weather, but if you keep picking them, they will continue to grow and blossom all summer. If you neglect them and they go to seed, they will start to look ratty and stop growing/turn yellow. Water them once in a while if it's really dry, esp. when they are young. They seem fairly drought-tolerant after that. The bouquets are wonderful because of their fragrance.

But if you have a woodchuck or something eating them soon as they sprout, there's not much you can do. Besides get rid of the woodchuck.

o
RE: The secret of growing sweet peas (flowers)

If you are getting a woodchuck, is it possible to do a window box or container that is out of reach?

I had a woodchuck beat me to my shitakes this year...I will have to cage it well to keep his little contortable body out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here