Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_in_maine

So what's growing in your garden???

Cindy_T
17 years ago

What a weekend! We spent yesterday doing all the yard chores that we *thought* we'd run out of time and weather to finish. In wandering through the gardens, I discovered that, in addition to lots of green herbs and perennials, we had snowdrops in bloom! (Past tense because I have no idea what the snow and sleet this morning have done to them.) Also, some of my roses had green leaves. Interestingly, it was the varieties that are less apt to be cane hardy that were the greenest - New Dawn in particular. My rugosas are still quite dormant. Must be they have a stronger sense of self preservation! Anyone else have plants doing inappropriate things in January? Thoughts on what all of this will mean come April and May?

Comments (15)

• bspofford
    17 years ago

Pansy bowls put on the porch are still going strong...

Barbara

• rhyss
    17 years ago

My Quail Daffodil (Jonquilla Daffodil Quail) have started to grow. Zone 3 - 8, Bloom Time: Mid-Spring. They did bloom at the proper time last year...

A handful started to grow a few weeks ago (in late December) - they have green shoots 2" to 4" tall. A dozen more are just starting to poke up out of the ground as well. They all seem to have survived the snow & sleet we had a few days ago, although the very tips have browned.

We planted Snowdrop bulbs in the fall as well, they are still dormant though.

I also have a 16 foot bed of Strawberries near the house which are still hanging on. All of the plants have some dead browned leaves, some green leaves, some leaves with beautiful fall colors - orange/red edges & green centers, AND they are still growing out new leaves. Very strange!

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Some of my Austin roses were leafing out; they did this last Jan. and it didn't seem to affect them. The new growth will die off when it gets cold (like today--brrr) and they will grow anew come spring. Same with the daffodils--they poked up last Jan. as well, then remained in a state of suspended animation until spring and weren't the worst for it.

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Veilchen, it's good to know your plants did well last year! I've found it pretty alarming to see green in January. DH found fat green buds on the lilac located at the corner of our house on Tuesday, but they look pretty sad this morning.

• maineman
    17 years ago

Cindy,

One of our Lilacs got tricked by the weather the same way. I guess this coming Sunday we get some really Arctic air.

MM

• maineman
    17 years ago

Right now what's growing in our garden is the depth of snow cover. But, hey, it's Winter and this is Maine. Keep warm, y'all. (I lived in Texas for 20 years.)

MM

• veilchen
    17 years ago

MM, no snow here yet. Not a drop. But got some ice yesterday.

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We got just the lightest of dustings yesterday. With the cold predicted for next week, I *really* hope we get snow today! My herb garden, in particular, could use the protection.

• maineman
    17 years ago

It's snowing again here today. Those flakes, they are a-coming down. I guess this is a Postal holiday, so we won't be getting any mail. We're on a school bus route, so the snow plows are good about keeping our road open. I think I'll put on my thermals and get outside. Later, y'all.

MM

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Right now what's growing in our garden is the depth of snow cover. But, hey, it's Winter and this is Maine. Keep warm, y'all. (I lived in Texas for 20 years.)

Maineman-- by any chance, are you in the Naples/Bridgton area?

• maineman
    17 years ago

Bill,

I'm in the Augusta area.

MM

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Well we got an inch or two yesterday, but it was the crunchy icy kind of snow. So yes the ground is white but with grass still poking up through it. I shoveled all around and piled mounds on some of my roses. Pulled the pine needles back over my heathers. It is supposed to be very cold tonight/tomorrow. This is my least-favorite time of the year.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Oh well-- the reason I asked is that I did some remodeling for someone a few months ago in Naples that has a house in Beaumont, but hasn't lived there in years. He rents it out now.

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ten below here this morning (in Turner) and a mere three inches of snow cover. Ugh. All our fingers are tightly crossed!

• buckthorne
    17 years ago

Icicles are the only things growing on MDI right now but that late freeze really put the hellebores and witchhazels in good standing to bust out as soon as it gets above 40.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting