Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
historic landscape preservationist to speak at our club

Posted by veilchen 5b s. Maine (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 05 at 8:09

This Thursday, 6:00 pm in Saco, our garden club will be hosting a talk and slide presentation by Lucinda Brockway. She was past Director of Landscapes at Strawberry Banke and provides research and design services to historic gardens throughout the country.

This should be pretty informative to all who have an interest in old/historic gardens.

You can go to the garden club's website below for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: saco bay gardening club

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: historic landscape preservationist to speak at our club

veilchen, I tried the link and it didnt work.

o

Sorry, don't know why it didn't work. It is:

www.geocities.com/sacobaygardeningclub

I'll try again.

Here is a link that might be useful: saco bay gardening club

o

I have heard Lucinda Brockway speak a number of times and she is vivacious, interesting, and very, very knowledgeable. I don't live nearby but if you do, I know you will enjoy her.

o

Because of the bad weather last night, we postponed the talk to next Thurs., same time/place.

o

how was the talk? Wish you were closer than 4 hours away,your garden club seems to play seriuosly!

o

Oh, the talk was wonderful. It really gave us some direction on how to go about researching an old garden/landscape. What was really fascinating was the slide she had of a garden in upstate NY that they were looking for clues as to how it was laid out 100 years ago. In the center was the remnants of an old fountain, but that was it. Then there was a drought that summer, and when the grass dried, it showed the geometric patterns of the paths--the soil was less built up on the paths, so they were the first to brown. Lucinda called these "ghosts".

Yes, we like to keep things interesting, educational, and be active. We keep getting new members every month or so, and the best part is our club is so friendly, I think all the newcomers feel welcomed. We're definitely not "cliquey".

o

• Posted by kap1 Zone 4-5 ME (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 19, 05 at 21:40

Really great isn't she ! I did a program she put on about 6 years ago and completely enjoyed every bit of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here