Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers for October Wedding

Posted by jenski 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 12:50

Hi everyone. I am growing my own flowers for my October 15, 2011 wedding.
First of all, I KNOW that everyone will say that I am crazy. Growing my own flowers? For an OCTOBER wedding? In MAINE?!!?!?!

So let's get this all out of the way:
1. Yes, I am crazy
2. It won't really matter if I have massive flower failure. It's not that kind of wedding.
3. I do have a backup plan. Two of them, actually.

OK, now that we are all calmed down about that, here is the plan:
1. I have some gorgeous dahlia bulbs on the way. This year my dahlias were flowering into the third week of October. I realize that we had a long growing season, but I am prepared with row covers if they are necessary.
2. I have the following seeds which I plan to direct seed in mid to late June for a later bloom:
Fortress Purple Statice
State Fair Mix Zinnia
Rocket Mix Snapdragon
Imperial Mix Pincushion Flower
Lacy Blue Didiscus
Kiwi Blue Cerinthe
Sea Star Mix Aster
Princess Mix Aster
I have plenty of row covers in case of early frosts.

3. I will be putting in two raised beds of mixed sunflowers and planting both perennial and annual sweet peas in the spring

I would love any tips and/or hints that will help me to harvest as many of my own flowers as possible. Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers for October Wedding

Petunias, Marigolds and wax begonia. Also Impatiens for shaded area. These are easy to grow and low maint. Congratulations and good luck.

o

Thank you!

o

I was soooo happy to find your post. I too, happen to be getting married on October 15th, 2011 and am in the mid stages of researching flower options. Though I have a black thumb and have no intention of growing my own flowers, reading your posts gave me some good ideas. I will be doing most of everything else myself, so if you want to exchange info, becuase I snagged some of yours, then let me know.

o

You might want to consider other fall ornamentals such as amaranth and broom corn. Some of them are very decorative and would enhance your fall flowers. If you go to Johhny's Selected Seeds they have a nice selection under Flowers-Ornamental Grasses.

o

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming! :) I am so excited. I'm starting my sunflowers now, so hopefully they will be in good shape by the time June rolls around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here