Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyroseviolet

what flower blooms the longest through the season in Maine?

lilyroseviolet
19 years ago

I was thinking it would have to be the geranium (pellie type/annual) or alyssum...oh no it must be the dandelion.

Comments (14)

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

My gloriosa daisies start around the end of July and bloom right up until hard freeze.

Cathy

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Are you talking perennials? I planted that new geranium 'Rozanne' last spring and it bloomed from the time I put it into the ground til well past several frosts.

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, veilchen- I want that perennial. What color is it? I will have to check itout at the New England Grows convention tomorrow! Maybe I can snip a piece?! I didnt say that.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

I still had Johnny Jump Ups blooming in December.

• maineman
    19 years ago

Last year I started border style zinnias (Peter Pans in this case) under lights and they already had their first blooms when I set them out the first week of June. They bloomed continuously up to very near frost. That was about four months of continous bloom. Pansies did nearly as well. I think several other annual flowers also bloom over a long season. This year I plan to start some petunias early under lights, and try some new zinnias as well.

MM

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Lily, it's a lt. purple. Very pretty, but it really does sprawl and tumble over other plants. Imagine a trailing geranium.

'Rozanne' is patented and supposedly not too easy to grow from cuttings. I got mine at Green Mt. Transplants in Arundel. They were actually small plants in 4" pots, so I was really surprised they grew and bloomed so well their first year.

MM, aren't zinnias great?

• sparrowhawk
    19 years ago

South American marigolds always performed great for me - a good solid three months of bloom when planted from seed in the spring. Johnny jump-ups would be my die hard leader though.

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I didnt find Rozanne, and the supplier I checked out was out of it. But I will keep an eye out for it as My cranesbill dont sprawl just mound up and fall, cut them back and let them try it again. This Rozanne has me wanting to see it! :)

Pansies and johnny jump ups are high maintenance until I decided to save the seeds! Then it was more fun to deadhead. I too, love them all the same.

I threw out some old seed at the end of July for cut and come again zinnias last year and they bloomed that fall and held on to the hard frost.

• Kimberley
    19 years ago

I had WS'd Malva 'Zebrina' that bloobed from the beginning of june through the first handful frosts! I'm trying a bunch of differant color Malva this year!

• elaine_maine
    19 years ago

I winter sowed a lot, and the snapdragons and stock lasted right through several frosts!

• Lee_ME
    19 years ago

With deadheading Gaillardia 'Goblin' will bloom from mid-June through the end of October in the midcoast.

• AmandaAlna
    19 years ago

My daylilies bloom their hearts out all summer long. I keep a few cultivars for each part of the season to keep up the bloom cycle, but they all love the cool air, hot sun combo. Potted Dahlias do great too, as long as I watch the drainage. Also, my Clematis Fascination (see link) doesn't stop blooming all summer. Oh, almost forgot Anemones! They're a pain to keep weeded, but they give non-stop color.

Amanda

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

• maineflowergirl
    19 years ago

To Leonessa:

You mentioned WS. Is that Wayside Gardens? I did search on them for the Zebrina and didn't find that. But I did find a Marina mallow. It's blue. Is that the one you meant or should I keep searching? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayside Gardens Marina Mallow

• elaine_maine
    19 years ago

WS is "Winter Sowing". Check the forum on this site.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert