Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainerose

January Blues

mainerose
16 years ago

Okay folks---it's winter in Maine, just keeps getting colder, and spring seems very far away. Two questions: what do you do to beat the "winter blues" this time of year? Start seeds? Look at garden catalogs? Draw garden plans?

Also---have any of you tried winter sowing? I'm thinking about trying it next year. Have you had any successes/failures with this?

Comments (6)

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago

>Start seeds? Look at garden catalogs? Draw garden plans?
    Yep, all three. And hanging out on garden forums, trying not to get too ornery. Actually, it's still a bit too early for me to start the seeds but soon!

Outside my office window, I look out over the snow covering the lawn that will become my first Maine garden this coming spring so I spend an inordinate amount of time looking out the window instead of working. "Planning," I tell myself.

I did try some winter sowing back in NY. I planted columbine and a couple of other other ornamentals. They did pretty well and maybe I got a jump on the season, but the main thing it did was to make me think I was gardening over the winter.

Wayne

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Bulbs, house plants, cut flowers from the grocery store.

• veilchen
    16 years ago

I just started my onion seeds the other day. I take comfort in the fact that we're getting a little bit more daylight each day.

I have tried winter sowing, but here in the north you're only getting at best a couple of weeks head start by the time the seeds finally germinate. Plus the containers got blown around/tipped over when we had a snowstorm.

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

Almost everything inmy greenhouse is dormant because of the very cold temps. I'm mailing seed orders to Fedco and Johnny's today or tomorrow. And I'm counting the days til Ground Hog's Day when the daylight long enough again to break dormancy on the plants in the greenhouse.

We made the decision to not add on to the house this year so I'll be planning a new flower bed in a section I thought was going to be dug up for an extended basement. I'll plan that todya. After that, withdrawal. I'll keep myself busy painting and putting down new tile flooring. I'm enjoying winter but could we skip February and go right into March please?

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Yes, Robin I agree. There is definitely no need for February.

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Robin, I placed my FEDco order online...too cheap and lazy to write in those small spaces neat enough to actually be legible, then mail the whole order.

Besides, the online order form does all the calculations for you! woohoo!

I went a bit overboard with my order, with loads of herbs and medicinal plants for a good sized herb garden I plan to create this year.

Because I don't have many South facing windows, I've been doing some winter sowing and also trying daylilies from seeds this year.

I've been planning this coming year's garden, of course, trying to figure out where I will put all the plants I plan to grow, and when to start my seedlings (My first year winter sowing, so I'm also starting seedlings of many plants as a precaution)

My housemates think I'm nuts...but..oh well.. I probably am!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH