Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
January Blues

Posted by mainerose 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 19:37

Okay folks---it's winter in Maine, just keeps getting colder, and spring seems very far away. Two questions: what do you do to beat the "winter blues" this time of year? Start seeds? Look at garden catalogs? Draw garden plans?
Also---have any of you tried winter sowing? I'm thinking about trying it next year. Have you had any successes/failures with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: January Blues

>Start seeds? Look at garden catalogs? Draw garden plans?
Yep, all three. And hanging out on garden forums, trying not to get too ornery. Actually, it's still a bit too early for me to start the seeds but soon!

Outside my office window, I look out over the snow covering the lawn that will become my first Maine garden this coming spring so I spend an inordinate amount of time looking out the window instead of working. "Planning," I tell myself.

I did try some winter sowing back in NY. I planted columbine and a couple of other other ornamentals. They did pretty well and maybe I got a jump on the season, but the main thing it did was to make me think I was gardening over the winter.

Wayne

o

Bulbs, house plants, cut flowers from the grocery store.

o

I just started my onion seeds the other day. I take comfort in the fact that we're getting a little bit more daylight each day.

I have tried winter sowing, but here in the north you're only getting at best a couple of weeks head start by the time the seeds finally germinate. Plus the containers got blown around/tipped over when we had a snowstorm.

o

Almost everything inmy greenhouse is dormant because of the very cold temps. I'm mailing seed orders to Fedco and Johnny's today or tomorrow. And I'm counting the days til Ground Hog's Day when the daylight long enough again to break dormancy on the plants in the greenhouse.

We made the decision to not add on to the house this year so I'll be planning a new flower bed in a section I thought was going to be dug up for an extended basement. I'll plan that todya. After that, withdrawal. I'll keep myself busy painting and putting down new tile flooring. I'm enjoying winter but could we skip February and go right into March please?

o

Yes, Robin I agree. There is definitely no need for February.

o

Robin, I placed my FEDco order online...too cheap and lazy to write in those small spaces neat enough to actually be legible, then mail the whole order.

Besides, the online order form does all the calculations for you! woohoo!

I went a bit overboard with my order, with loads of herbs and medicinal plants for a good sized herb garden I plan to create this year.

Because I don't have many South facing windows, I've been doing some winter sowing and also trying daylilies from seeds this year.

I've been planning this coming year's garden, of course, trying to figure out where I will put all the plants I plan to grow, and when to start my seedlings (My first year winter sowing, so I'm also starting seedlings of many plants as a precaution)

My housemates think I'm nuts...but..oh well.. I probably am!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here