Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veilchen_gw

More snow!!

veilchen
19 years ago

I officially give up. I am going to get out another jigsaw puzzle and bottle of wine if we get snowed in again. Dh just fixed the blown-off vent on the greenhouse, but it will be half-buried in snow if we get another foot.

There is nowhere to put the snow from our driveway. Banks are 7' high as it is. If the kids get another snow day, they will start adding days to June.

Why can't it be rain? Kill two birds with one stone--melt some of the existing snow and not add to it. It's going to be awfully wet out there once this stuff starts melting.

Comments (13)

• maineman
    19 years ago

Veilchen,

Well, it's Maine and it's winter. Grin. I have some onions started under fluorescent lights and my supply of snow water is running low, so this new snow will give me the opportunity to collect some fresh snow to replenish my supply. The weather the last few days has been good for "getting out and about".

We just got the Burpee catalog today, a bit late, so we can read that while temporarily snow bound. I am still trying to figure out the difference between the "new" Tequila Lime zinnia and the heritage Envy zinnia, both of which are offered in the Burpee catalog, with very similar descriptions. In our old Fort Worth garden I got some interesting results from crossing Envy with other zinnias. Too bad apparently none of those seed are still viable, although I plan to give them all a chance. I'll try hybridizing again, using Tequila Lime. And I want to cross the Swizzles with some of the larger cactus-flowered zinnias, with the idea of getting an intermediate height bush with two-tone cactus blooms in a variety of color combinations.

A Winter Snow Advisory starts here tonight and we may have over a foot of new snow by this time tomorrow. I am currently insulating our breezeway, preparatory to finishing it off with wallboard, as a place for fluorescent light plant stands. As the song goes, "The weather outside is frightful, the weather inside is delightful, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." Or words to that effect.

MM

• elaine_maine
    19 years ago

March came in like a lion (roar). Hope it goes out like a lion. I'm staying home today and will put some more seeds outside.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

DH fixed the plastic on the greenhouse door last night. We're set for the storm except for the chores that still need to be done this morning. I'm going to put a pot of vegetable beef soup on the woodstove and curl up on the couch with a couple of Eliot Coleman's books.

We're way below normal for snowfall here. I don't want any more but we could use it.

• veilchen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Maineman, it never ceases to amaze me how people that moved here from much warmer climates can have such a positive attitude toward winter. I have two friends that moved here a couple years ago from Atlanta. Their first winter was a bad one. I felt bad for them having to go through that. Asked them how they were making out, they said it's great, they took up skiing. I should learn from you guys.

I grew up in Michigan, had a respite of 4 wonderful years in zone 7 Germany. Dh got relocated to ME. So I've grown up in the cold/snow/blizzards etc. for most of my life. I think my outlook is worse since I took up gardening. Like, ok, I've had my break, now I'm ready to get back out there and start gardening. Florida trip is past, wish I was still there.

I finished redecorating the upstairs last month. We tiled the floors back in Dec. Maybe today I'll touch-up paint the steps. All practical home improvement projects are on hold until the contractors come in spring to start the new garage. By then I won't have time for the details because I'll be gardening.

Would love to do some pruning outdoors but the snow's too deep. Greenhouse is going to be too cold in the near future, long-term forecast calls for only highs in the 20s til Mar. 10. I need this snow to melt so I can see my garden!

• Cindy_T
    19 years ago

Veilchen, after last year's disastrous open winter, I swore all summer that I wouldn't complain, no matter how much snow we got. So I'm NOT complaining. :-) But you're absolutely right, there's nowhere to put the stuff!

• veilchen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I took it upon myself to shovel our long driveway yesterday. We have a snowblower, but I have been shoveling it most of the winter for exercise. Boy are my arms sore, as I had to lift the snow up over the 7' banks. But I figure that if I can dig dirt all summer, I can dig snow too.

The plow trucks and the neighbors probably thought I was nuts.

Cindy, I also appreciate the snow cover after last winter's disaster. My roses should do well and I don't expect to have lost any perennials. But I'm just looking for it to quietly go away by mid-month. Appears no such luck.

• wally2k1
    19 years ago

The only positive thing I tell myself daily is that all this snow is protecting my tulips and daffodils that poked there heads up in early February. I have done winter sowing for the first time and am anxious to see what, if anything I get. I have lights set up in my basement with over 30 new daylily babies, a dozen plus hosta babies and gerbar daisy seeds that just sprouted last week. I need to pot up many of these and wondering where to put everything. Come on SPRING!!

• nancylouise5me
    19 years ago

Well I guess I'm in the minority. I LOVE all the snow we have. I can't stand little piddlely @ss snow storms. If it is winter let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! It's free insulation for my gardens, fun for the family and dog and great exercise while shoveling. (Veilchen I bet your arms and shoulders look like a bodybuilder by now!) I enjoy all seasons really, except mayfly season that I can do without. But I do love a good storm. Nancy ducking for cover behind the snowfort to ditch the thrown snowballs.lol

• veilchen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nothing's wrong with a good snowstorm in Jan. But leave March alone! March is for melting snow and mud, and finally seeing little green shoots popping up, and increasing warmth.

• maineman
    19 years ago

Nancy,

"I enjoy all seasons really, except mayfly season that I can do without."

Ummmh. Don't you mean blackfly?

"But I do love a good storm."

Me too. As long as the electricity doesn't go off.

MM

• nancylouise5me
    19 years ago

Yep, MM that's what I'm talking bout! Blackflies Annoying, nasty little buggers. As far as electricity going out it has happened to us during storms but because we live on the main street that leads into town it is never off for very long. The hospital and fire dept. are just down the street so we are usually the first ones to get it back on. Our friends that live out in the boonies in York loose their power if they sneeze to hard. They don't have to have a bad storm for that to happen. They finally broke down and bought a generator power loss was so frequent. NancyLouise

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

I am back from my vacation in Arizona, and we visited some wineries...I brought back a case of wine to help me get through the rest of this winter here!

Actually Iam very glad to be back even though it is fun to walk around in 80 degree weather and have the windows down.

I can now start to sow seeds, so that is great!

I bought some wine called desert dust and red coyote! Nice. Cheers all, let me know if I can pour anyone a glass.

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

I am starting to worry about my garlic beds. Hope the ground doesnt rot them all with all this snow we are having. Hopefully the ground dries out quickly for us once the snow leaves.

Sponsored